Thread: Converting Linux to Vista

Converting Linux to Vista

I have linux on my computer right now and for the life of me can't get Vista back on there. Vista was the original OSX and now I want it back on, or even XP and I can't.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Well, You have Linux already installed but you can dual boot it with Vista on the same hard drive.

We'll dual-boot Ubuntu 8.04 with Vista. With Ubuntu already installed and owning the entire drive, we'll use the Ubuntu Live CD to shrink the Linux partition to create space for the Vista install.

Vista's MBR will overwrite GRUB during installation, so we'll go through two scenarios. First - reinstall GRUB to the Linux partition and use EasyBCD to modify the Vista bootloader so that it will boot Ubuntu. Second, reinstall GRUB to the MBR and configure it boot both Ubuntu and Vista

Select your proper linux distribution: How to select a proper Linux distribution

Re: Converting Linux to Vista

windows 98 bootable CD have fdisk utility for partitioning, but its can handle hard drive only less than 64 GB, Microsoft has launches a hotfix patch for the same problem, and Now the new patched fdisk utility can handle 137 GB (48-bit LBA)

here is the link u can download the patch for fdisk utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044

Quote Originally Posted by Barnold View Post
    I have linux on my computer right now and for the life of me can't get Vista back on there. Vista was the original OSX and now I want it back on, or even XP and I can't.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    So do you want to delete Linux and install Vista or XP instead?

You didnt mention which Linux you have installed. Anyways, according to Suse Linux, to wipe your drive of all content, go to a terminal in Suse, su to root, and issue the following command:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    You'll need to replace /dev/sda with your actual device name such as /dev/hda.

Using the dd command above will write zeros to the entire drive giving you a totally fresh start.

If needed, you can use the fdisk -l command to determine your device name:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    If for some reason this doesn't work, download the PartedMagic LiveCD, boot with it (root permissions not needed), and run the same command.

Your Vista / XP install disk should work fine after doing this.

Let us know how it goes.

You can and should get the super grub disk. If all else fails, restore the Windows boot loader.

You should have used Vista's Disk Management to shrink the partition.

Add this to the end of menu.lst
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    title Windows Vista (loader)
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    That might work....

Please give more detailed information about how many disks you have, and what the partitions are.

You might give this a try:

change "root" to "rootnoverify" so that your windows item looks like:
    Code:
    title Windows Vista (loader)
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Yogesh Guest

Try EasyBCD

EasyBCD

EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to tweaking the new Windows Vista bootloader. With EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring Windows boot entries is simple, and there is no easier way to quickly boot right into Linux, Mac OS X, or BSD straight from the Windows Vista bootloader - on the fly, no expert knowledge needed!

EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just want to add an entry to your old XP partition or want to create a duplicate for testing purposes; if you're interested in debugging the Windows Kernel or septuple-booting your seven test operating systems, EasyBCD is the key.

EasyBCD is used and recommended by Microsoft, PC-World, PC-Magazine, Softpedia, PC-Welt, and dozens more!

In the words of Harry McCracken (VP & Editor-in-Chief of PC World): "[EasyBCD] impressed the editors with its functionality and usability. These are some of the most well-crafted services available - congratulations to EasyBCD!"