Thread: Vista wont detect my Hard Drive On full Install???

Vista wont detect my Hard Drive On full Install???

Im trying to install Vista Ultimate and it wont detect my 320 WD HD but it will detect a 80 GB, Im Not sure what drivers to get and its really annoying me, Can someone plz help me ive wasted so much time trying to figure this out
    Cheers for who ever knows this problem
    PS its a sata II hard disk
    Last edited by flooringguy; 15-10-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    windows vista ultimate q6600 @2.4

There might be some jumper settings that you have to do so that the second hard drive gets detected. I assume both of the drives are SATA, so try to master one and slave the other.

Download the SATA drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer and load them during Vista installation.

are the 320GB HDs in a RAID configuration? I don't think vista will detect them without 3rd party drivers during install(i might be wrong)

You wouldn't happen to know where i get sata drivers for my motherboard its a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R CHEERS

ok I have the drivers but i just loaded them onto my 80 gb hard drive which i can access while trying to install vista on my 320gb (the problem drive) now is it true that i need to put these drivers on a floppy disk???? because it still cant find my hard drive after trying to install these drivers, i have the right drivers because i got the software that came with the motherboard?????
    im puzzled

At start of Install Press F6 and offer the SATA Controller Drivers you have put on a floppy disk.

Re: Vista wont detect my Hard Drive On full Install???

Yeah I cant find correct drivers that work, Od you know any way to copy all contents of the drive to another drive??

Quote Originally Posted by flooringguy View Post
    you know any way to copy all contents of the drive to another drive??
    Acronis True Image 9 will do it. I recently replaced a hard drive and used this program to copy my C drvie to the new hdd. I booted to the old hdd after installing the new drive and used the Acronis wizzard to copy it, worked perfectly, the new hdd booted right into Windows and all the programs worked. But it will also let you copy the drive to DVDs or an 2nd hdd. $29 at newegg.com.

What I do is use Ghost (now by Symantec). Whats nice is you can make a boot floppy, execute Ghost, and make an entire image of the disk to external drive (NAS or USB) or burn to DVD. You can do a Copy Disk from this prog as well. Having to boot from CD or floppy, you wont run into files that are "Currently in use". It has the option as to the rate of desired compression as well.

If your O/S goes wonky, then just import the image back to your HDD. Drive Image is fine too. Comes in Image 7 (for Win2000 and XP) or 2002 (for Win95/98/ME) flavours.

There are many more disk imaging/mirroring tools as well, just do a google search. Tucows.com and Download.com has a wide variety of shareware/freeware/trialware. There are lots to choose from that will suit your needs.

OK Thanks For That great info, Would I need To Wipe The destination drive It has a few games stored and other things??

OK update: I got hold of that program and it cant find my 2 320GB Hard disks, Its bizare being that they are fully working???? Help Needed Thanks