Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 13-10-2008

Intel Atom as Server

Think of it can be done to get a machine with intel atom (1.6 GHz + 2GB of RAM) to host a website that makes use of small databases + asp.net scripting?
Old 13-10-2008

It depends on the number of visitors / database calls, etc.

If it is only yourself to use the page now and then, it is no problem, but if you must run a hand like, it may well be you should consider something a little stronger.
Old 13-10-2008

If you would have problems with performance, you can always overview a Linux / JSP solution
Old 13-10-2008

I totally agree with Devasis. You can run websites on the general and you can easily manage whole family websites. I remember that when I started to manage at HOL own server I started to use an Athlon 1000 MHz and withdrew an approximately 1,000 visitors a day with the stub code HOL back then. A nuclear processor is about as fast as it goes enough.

But be aware of what it will be used, to be used for large databases or streaming of large amounts of data so that it will cause problems.
Old 13-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillebror View Post
But be aware of what it will be used, to be used for large databases or streaming of large amounts of data so that it will cause problems.
The CPU fit enough very good with a nuclear.
Old 13-10-2008

Or you could wait a little and buy a dual-Atom processor once they come.
Old 13-10-2008

I have a VIA EPIA 1GHz machine, which is considerably slower than the one you mention....no more than 1 / 3 as fast.

With Windows Server 2003, ASP.NET 3.5 and MSSQL 2005 may draw 1,000 visitors / 4,000 page views a day with a CPU consumption on a 10-12% on average.

The pages are doing on average 3 database calls, of which 2 are of the larger, complex kind. On the other hand, there is not much data in the database, so it obviously has an impact on performance.

I would say that it is more important, what you have the upload speed of your Internet connection. I have 2 megabits upload, and with so few users and a rather "thin" part of some. 60 kilobytes, it will never be filled.

Go for it
Old 13-10-2008

I intend to host my own website, my portfolio and my gallery. Not something as big. It should just be able to search the databases of my pictures in.. and possible. Show things up on my blog from the database... actually very straightforward Homepage.

But I can understand on you, so it is no problem, and had intended me to buy dual atom, but then I found some rumors that it may be next year we see the processor in the market...and has been going crush on eee box...think with a little skill hands, that I could have switched processor in eee box with a dual core when it comes out again. It is something they will use the same motherboard, so it was probably not been a problem!

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: