Thread: boot error

sad boot error

Problem:
    a disk read error has occurred
    press ctrl+alt+del to restart
    Last edited by Yogesh; 10-10-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: personal info removed. Use PM instead.

Can you tell us more about your System specifications?
    What operating system you have?
    Please have a look at this!
    Disk read error...
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by rstthomas View Post
    Problem:
    Is it that you are getting this error message when you try to run the disk in your PC? Or is it like you are giving the solution (press ctrl+alt+del to restart) for disk read error !!

Please describe your quote.

follow up to boot error

My post is the error message.
    White box - intel P4 1.6 GHZ - .5 Gbyte ram - 160 Gbyte hard drive - WinXP SP2 - drive is accessible as a slave on another system - shows no errors on chkdsk. Consensus on the WeB seems to be:

1) BIOS problem [update?]
    2) IDE cable/strap problem
    3) NTldr;Ntdetect;Boot.ini problem

tried all - no help
    also on recovery console:
    fixmbr
    fixboot
    chkdsk
    etc,etc,etc

any ideas?

As a last resort did you try reformatting and reinstalling the OS again?

Yogesh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rstthomas View Post
    Problem:
    When I once had such problem, I tried many things through web. I still had no luck with the error. Until i read somewhere to,
    • go into the bios and
    • activate "Load Fail-Safe Defaults"

(After that i just changed the cpu fsb frequency, and the boot order (CD-rom - IDE 0 etc) and left everything else alone.
    That fixed the problem for me, and windows could boot fine.

Hope this helps...

This is addressed on IDE ATA drives, not SATA drives.

Here's your answer: Make sure that the black jumper in the back of your main hard drive is set to "MA" (MASTER) as abbreviated according to the schematics shown on top of your hard drive. (On the sticker at the bottom.) Any other drives that you have such as your CD-ROM, DVD-ROM must be placed as "SL" (SLAVE) as abbreviated on the back of them. (These abbriviated letterings are stamped in the metal or plastic part in the back, it can be hard to see, use a flashlight to get a good look at it. Those of you have different brand computers, need to get into the BIOS. First, when you first turn on the computer, the post boot screen will come on, look for where it will tell you what key to press to get into the BIOS. All systems are different, some are done by pressing the F2 key, or the F11 key, others are the DEL key. On Compaqs and HP, uses the F11 key, Dells and other systems uses the F2 key. Barebone systems uses the DEL key. Once you are in the BIOS, you need to find the section on the Boot Order. Make sure the the HDD is placed as the first boot priority before any others in the listing, which means your main hard drive must be placed as a first boot device before any others that is listed.The boot order should be placed in the following order:
    1. HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
    2. CD-ROM
    3. FDD or NET or the like. (The 3rd boot order can also be disabled by selecting it.)

Once you have the boot priority set, hit the ESC key and save the configuration. It should now boot to your main hard drive with the Windows loading on. Also, make sure there are no CDs or DVDs in your CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive before you start your computer! Good luck.

You need a copy of windows vista anytime upgrage disc.. pop open the cd tray with a pin because you wont be able if you cant get the computer to boot.. install cd close tray start computer it will say click any button to install... install windows.. it will ask for product key its on the bottom of your laptop insert code key and it will ask to repair or to reinstall push install. it wil ask to format disc that will be having only option i know because i tried then all sorry but i lost everything too it will take about one hour to install so walk away from it and let it do its thing... when its done it will restart on it own.. once it does you will have to redo password and computer name and then it will check preformance that will take about 10 to 15 minutes then it will start desktop once it has finished go to start right click on computer go click on properties scroll to bottom and it should tell u that your windows is active and genuine... at this point you should be smiling.. if not you will have to call microsoft and a tec will get it working as long as you are the buyer of this computer.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    As a last resort did you try reformatting and reinstalling the OS again?
    ...can't re-partition/re-format ;
    the customer does not have a copy of windows to install.