Thread: XP Startup Problem

XP Startup Problem

Having a problem getting beyond the Windows logon screen in XP. This has occurred since AVG flagged up a potential trojan (Sinowal).

I thought I had removed this and the associated temp files, but now having problem getting into Windows.

Any suggestions?

Hey hello & welcome to TechArena Community!
    Well i appretiate you if you can Introduce Yourself!

Well if you are not sure about the trojan removal Then i suggest you to scan your hard disk with a good antivirus!
    I mean just get your hard disk scan by attaching your hdd to your friends machine! That will remove any virus infection if you have with your Hard Disk!
    Can you give some more information about your system specifications?

Since you cannot get into the Windows itself, I cannot suggest you any program that can help remove the said virus. Have you tried logging through Safe Mode? If you can get through it, you can scan again with your AVG or else you can scan with Symantec Antivirus with latest update (I use this personally and find it better).

sad

Thanks for all the replies, so far.

Unfortunately I cannot get it into safe mode either. Just get a blue box appears with amongst other things PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

and also Tech info:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x00000000, 0x8730DE4A, 0x00000000)

The machine is actually a Sony Laptop VGN T1XP running MS Window XP Pro with SP2. Pentium M733 at 1.1 GHz 40 GB HDD & 1MB RAM

I could dismantle and replace with an ex ipod Toshiba HDD and reload the OS afresh but due to the fiddly nature of this size of sub notebook I was trying to avoid that procedure.

Have moved on a little, have used a Norton emergency boot disc to get into DOS screen with summary of no viruses found, together with the following assessment:
    Memory: Scanned: Yes Infected No
    MBR Scanned:1 Infected 0
    Boot Records Scanned 0 Infected 0
    Files Scanned 0 Infected 0

Then we have a command prompt A:\>

Forgive me but I have very limited knowledge of DOS and it is many years since I had to use it. Can anyone guide me from here?

Incidentally the laptop has one HDD partitioned by Sony into a C & D drive. There is no floppy drive (hence puzzlement at an A drive in the DOS screen)
    There are no peripherals attached.

I look forward to your replies....Thanks in anticipation.

Read this tutorial Ultimate Boot CD
    Since you cannot pass beyond the welcome screen, this method might help you do some repairs. It works even if there is no operating system involved.

Yogesh Guest
    The error that you mentioned has been discussed earlier. Have a look at this, Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area

Explanation:

This Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

User Action:

This Stop message usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. Another cause of this Stop message is the installation of a buggy system service. Disable the service and determine if this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows 2000 Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time. Antivirus software can also trigger this Stop message. Disable the program and determine if this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update. A corrupted NTFS volume can also generate this Stop message. Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. Restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk. Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it. For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.

Thanks to you both, I will try these fixes and feedback after the weekend.

(It is not new hardware as nothing has been added, I do suspect a corrupted NTFS however.) Could a corrupted MBR cause such a problem?

Not resolved unfortunately.

Booting off a NAV boot disk just scans the disk but cannot get back into C or D drives to scan these?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Thanks to you both, I will try these fixes and feedback after the weekend.

(It is not new hardware as nothing has been added, I do suspect a corrupted NTFS however.) Could a corrupted MBR cause such a problem?
    If such is the case, then it most probably could be a corrupted MBR case.