Thread: Problem with multi OS on single System (XP and Windows Server 2003)

question Problem with multi OS on single System (XP and Windows Server 2003)

I have two Hardrives installed to my PC. Windows XP SP1 installed on first HD, Wondows Server 2003 installed on second HD.

The problem is, when I login to XP, I am not able to view the "drives" from the Windows Server 2003 (or the 2nd Harddrive). But when I login into the Windows Server 2003, I see all the drives (old and new HD).

Could anyone help me with a solution?? I need to access to the Windows Server 2003 Drives(2nd HD), when I am logged in using the Windows XP(1st HD).

Please let me know if I need to change any Jumper settings in any of the HD i am using.

Thanks in Advance for the Help!!!!!!!11

They usually have master and slave positions labeled on the cable. Then just jumper the drives according to the position on the cable. Boot drive probably needs to be master.

Certain IDE devices do not work well together due to incompatibility with one another.

Some systems will have two hard drives set up on Channel 0 on the motherboard, and the CD or DVD drive/drives set up on Channel 1.

Furthermore, some systems will have boot issues and recognition problems if jumpers are not used properly.

A tech friend of mine taught me years ago to not mix a "optical" drive such a DVD or CD drive with a hard drive on the same channel as you are doing.

You might try this and see if you can make the hard drives work together on one channel, rather than having one on each channel as you are configured now.

Note on jumper settings - If you use "cable select", the bios should recognise the drive attached to the gray connector as a slave, and the black connector as a master. This tip will help when you are arranging your drives in your tower whereas you will have the drives stacked properly so you can easily hook up the 80 wire cable without having to do a lot of twisting. Normally, the master will always be on the end of the cable - furthest away from the motherboard, and the slave will be in the middle. Some will say it does not matter, however I have seen quite a few systems that would post faster if the drives were hooked up in this fashion, rather than having them reversed and the jumpers set to master/slave rather than cable select.

For more info, take a look below.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id..._Jumpering.htm