Thread: Vista booting problems

Vista booting problems

Right, so, I have Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop. I recently did an update via Windows Update.
    I rebooted the computer and now, every time I start it up in Normal Mode, it gets to the green loading bar, then does a Blue Screen of Death and reboots. When I try to start Vista in Safe Mode, it shows the list of files that it is loading, and when it gets to crcdisk.sys, it hangs for 5 seconds, does a BSoD and reboots. (I gather the problem is with the next file in line, but I can't find out what that file is.)

I've tried googling this for several hours now, and I can't make use of any of the answers.

Some of the answers suggest that SATA driver is the problem. I did notice one of the Vista updates was the SATA-related, but I don't know how to fix that. Some mention removing a HD drive or configuring the SATA settings for multible drives, but as this is a laptop, I only have one drive and can't change any settings.

I tried using the Vista disc, like many of the other answers suggest, but nothing seems to be working.

I don't mind doing a fresh reinstall of Vista, but then there are important files on the drive that I need to copy first, and I don't know how to do that, either.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Well, if you can get an external hard drive, you can copy all the files in that drive.

See some suggestion mentioned here in this thread: Can't complete Installation - Blue Screen of Death post first boot