Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep button doesn;t work right

You can change it in the Power Options in control panel. Click "Change Plan Settings" of the power plan that is selected. Then click on Change Advaned Power Settings

In there is a setting called Power Buttons and Lid. Expand that and you will see the setting for the Start Menu Power Button. Change it there.

Quote Originally Posted by BD14 View Post
    this is my problem...i push the button for standy...but i get hibernation instead
    Since you are working on a laptop, the settings might be slightly different than usual. The laptop manufacturer might have put some default setting that the power button is only meant for hibernate

From Microsoft support, this is what advised for setting standby mode through power button,

To manually put your computer on standby
    1. Open Power Options in Control Panel.

2. On the Advanced tab, under When I press the power button on my computer, click Standby. If you are using a portable computer, click Standby under When I close the lid of my portable computer.

3. Click OK or Apply, and then turn off the power or close the lid of your portable computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Noki View Post
    You can change it in the Power Options in control panel. Click "Change Plan Settings" of the power plan that is selected. Then click on Change Advaned Power Settings

In there is a setting called Power Buttons and Lid. Expand that and you will see the setting for the Start Menu Power Button. Change it there.
    Wheres the "Change Plan Settings" ? I cannot find it on my desktop. Are you talking about the 'Power schemes' ? Well in that, the power scheme for Portable and Laptop can be selected.

ok...1st...sorry for not stating my specs at the very beginning...seem to have left that out...

2nd.. i have never touched anything in the registry or made my own registry keys or anything like that

ill just say this again......i change one of the settings in the power settings options to make my computer hibernate when i push the button on my keyboard instead of standby like normal....i didn;t use any fancy way of getting into the registry...i did it like any other average user would

nvm this post...i it showed that my previous post didn;t work..so i made another one...turns out...it worked the forst time..

ok let me try this one more time......

i wanted to make the standy button on my keyboard make my computer hibernate when i pushed it instead of standby....so i went into the power settings and changed it....no i want to change it back, but it seems to be stuck, when i change it back so that when i push the button the computer should go into standby, the computer stills goes into hibernate....yes i make sure i hit apply and ive tried it multiple times....i have never messed with the registry at all, i was just suggesting that maybe that is a problem? i have no clue, thats kinda why im asking for help

Have a look at this page see if this help you!
    Between let me search for some solution to your problem.

Does it hibernates immediately or after certain time? What are the settings that you have set for hibernation mode? Please be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    Does it hibernates immediately or after certain time? What are the settings that you have set for hibernation mode? Please be specific.
    no, it doesn;t hibernate at a specific time...im trying to be as straight forward as possible...let me try again...for like the 5th time...

when i push the sleep button on my keyboard, instead of going into standby, the computer goes into hibernate. When i go into the power settings and make sure that it is set to stanby when i push the button, it says it is set correct, but it continues to hibernate instead of standby. If I disable hibernation in the power options, and try again, it still tries to go into hibernate but it tells me that it is not enabled and then it tells me how to enable it.

Summary -

I want to computer to standby when i push the standby button

The computer however, insists on going into hibernate when i push the button

How can i fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by BD14 View Post
    ok let me try this one more time......

i wanted to make the standy button on my keyboard make my computer hibernate when i pushed it instead of standby....so i went into the power settings and changed it....no i want to change it back, but it seems to be stuck, when i change it back so that when i push the button the computer should go into standby, the computer stills goes into hibernate....yes i make sure i hit apply and ive tried it multiple times....i have never messed with the registry at all, i was just suggesting that maybe that is a problem? i have no clue, thats kinda why im asking for help
    Oh, so that is. The problem started when you first changed the setting to hibernate mode. But this sounds really weird!! As, if it can change itself to hibernate mode, then why not to standby mode

The only doubt that arises at this stage is that when you changed the power setting to hibernate mode, that might have caused changes in the registry by itself. When certain things dont happen through the easiest way or the most standard way and when computer seems to be stuck at that setting, it most commonly happens due to altered registry keys which are not done manually but happens itself. This is the most weird part of computer working

I am not as expert to deal with registry. Any registry expert can identify and solve this issue. Anybody here? Or else, I'll advise you to consult with a technician personally. Specific laptops does have different specific problems.

Yogesh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    Specific laptops does have different specific problems.
    That is true. And such issues of not able to change from hibernate mode to standby OR standby mode to hibernate are mostly observed in laptops only.

Well BD14, I can say, if you want to put your machine in standby mode in easiest way, then in Start -> Turn off computer... now just press S and the computer will move to the standby mode

thanks for finally understanding my problem lol

ok then...i guess im stuck with what i got....thanks anyway for trying to help :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12