Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep button doesn;t work right

Sleep button doesn;t work right

when i push the sleep button on my dell laptop...the computer hibernates instead. I checked the power settings and it is set to go to sleep but it hibernates

any suggestions?

thanks

I checked the power settings and it is set to go to sleep but it hibernates
    What do you mean by "set to go to sleep" because according to me there are only 5 options in power options properties i.e "Do nothing", "Ask me what to do", "Standby", "Shut down" and "Hibernate".

I think he is talking about sleep button available on some keyboards like i have on my genius keyboard.
    am i right BD14?

ya when i push the sleep button...the laptop goes into hibernate...and if i check the settings...its set to go to sleep but it hibernates instead....

There is nothing like 'sleep' in the world of computer. If your keyboard has got such a button mentioned as 'sleep' then it is actually Hibernation mode of the computer. As in this mode, the hard disks are turned off, hibernate saves an image of your desktop with all open files and documents, and then it powers down your computer. Which means a computer in hibernate is virtually sleeping. When you turn on power, your files and documents are open on your desktop exactly as you left them. That means it awakens. No other sleep mode is there as such.

ok you aren't understanding what i am saying...lets see if i can make this a little clearer...

the sleep (stanby) button on my keyboard doesn;t work right. When i push the button, instead of going into standby, the computer goes into hibernate. If i go into the power settings to see if the button is assigned correctly, it says that when i push the button the computer is supposed to standby....but it goes into hibernate.... So then i go to the hibernation tab and disable hibernation and try the stanby button again...the computer still tries to go into hibernate but an error message appears saying that that hibernation isn;t enabled and it then tells me how to enable it..

this is my problem...i push the button for standy...but i get hibernation instead

BD14: Start - Control panel. Open Power options. Click at small blue links "change plan settings" - "change advanced settings". Find "power buttons and case" in tree - and finally "Button Power in Start menu". Piece of cake

HERE'S A WAY TO MAKE VISTA BOOT WHEN IT WON'T WAKE AFTER SLEEP/HIBERNATE:

1. Turn off computer.
    2. Remove one of the RAM chips (or change to a different one)
    3. Start the computer.
    4. Windows will inform you that RAM has changed and ask if you want to delete the restoration data. Confirm that you want to delete it.
    5. Start in normal mode. After it reboots you can do a regular shut down, replace the RAM and restart as usual.

This is a bull*** problem that no other company could get away with. Imagine if every single car that a major manufacturer made had a problem where it wouldn't start if it was turned off while the lights were on or something similar. There would be a major recall and/or law suit. Where's the lawsuit agains Microsoft for this lame problem? At least the "fix" above will get people's computers running so they can email their attorneys/congressmen etc.

ok new tech...im not sure if ur response works with vista...but i have xp pro and can't find what your talking about

and zachary...u provided no usefull information at all?

heres what i think....is it a registry key that makes a button binded to perform a task? if so...could that be the problem because i do remember that at one point i had changed the power settings so that it would make my computer hibernate when i pushed the stanby button on my keyboard....however, i now have no use for using hibernate and want to change it back...but it wont change back

Do you want to say that you have made changes in the registry key for changing your power settings? If so then if you remember what you have done then revert that process. If you don't remember then you can use your Windows CD to do a repair of the registry key.

Ok!
    Guys i am bit confused now can you explain me the difference between "standby" & "hybernate"?

Quote Originally Posted by BD14 View Post
    ok new tech...im not sure if ur response works with vista...but i have xp pro and can't find what your talking about

and zachary...u provided no usefull information at all?

heres what i think....is it a registry key that makes a button binded to perform a task? if so...could that be the problem because i do remember that at one point i had changed the power settings so that it would make my computer hibernate when i pushed the stanby button on my keyboard....however, i now have no use for using hibernate and want to change it back...but it wont change back
    It was a common problem for vista which I found unless you would have given your specification on the very first place

Quote Originally Posted by rupak View Post
    Ok!
    Guys i am bit confused now can you explain me the difference between "standby" & "hybernate"?
    When your computer hibernates, the contents of the RAM are written to your hard drive and the computer is completely shut down. When the operating system boots (after you turn on the computer again), it loads the RAM contents from the hibernation file and continues from wherever it left off. This is really cool when you have several operating systems. For example, I can hibernate Windows, boot into Linux, reboot and continue in Windows from where I left off and vice versa. The only downsides to hibernation are that it takes more time to wake up and you lose your RAM worth of diskspace to the hibernation file.

When your computer goes on standby, most of the components are shut down, but the system memory remains powered. When you wake up the computer, it just continues where it was before suspend without any kind of bootup or loading of hibernation data.

In short, hibernation is when the system completely shuts dows, but the RAM isnt cleared, standby is just a powered down state (lower HDD speeds, lower processer and fan speeds stuff like that).

Like hibernation is when you sleep all winter.

Stand-by is when you're promised a ticket at the airline, and don't get it!

Thanks a lot guys! That was really helpful to understand the difference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast