Thread: Do i need antivirus program for Linux?

Do i need antivirus program for Linux?

Hi, Its said that you dont need antivirus program, for a linux operating system is it true?
    I read somewhere that even linux have viruses?
    What all you guys wanna say about it?
    I am waiting for your reply!

To be frank there is no serious viruses found so far for Linux. The main reason is Linux is quite secure as compare to Windows. Also, viruses cannot cause any serious damage if they are not activated by root user (that is why you need to use su or sudo command and always login as normal user).

"Remember, Linux is not like Microsoft Windows. It comes with all the programs you need."
    "Linux beginners should not be installing random programs from random places, they should stick with programs that come with their distro."
    I seem to remember a "suspicious" package getting onto a distro's server.

If you are using any one of the following program then consider getting a good virus scanner:
    • Windows via Samba
    • Linux Email server
    • Linux as a router etc

Most are windows virus that, may affects above program.

Ubuntu doesnt ask for root pass. It asks for YOUR pass as a sudoer. And it's just when you try to install new programas or change your system's configuration.
    Telling users that Linux is immune to viruses does a disservice. There already are Linux viruses in use, most target servers but user space is just as vulnerable.
    A virus on Linux will most likely only effect the user it is executed, but if you're that user and its your files that are trashed or posted to alt.test then you aren't going to care much what OS you are running.<nobr> <wbr></nobr>.cp

The thing that most people don’t realize is that AV isn’t needed on Windows either - and it doesn’t take extreme paranoia/caution to make it work.

1) Do not run Internet Explorer except for websites that you trust - such as your bank. This does not mean “if my bank sends me an email, click on the URL to open it in Internet Explorer”. This means type in the URL yourself; or save it as a bookmark and only access it through that bookmark.
    2) Don’t use Outlook or Outlook Express. They both internally use Internet Explorer to display emails; someone could send an email designed to exploit an Internet Explorer weakness, and it would generally work.
    3) Don’t open email attachments unless you have specifically requested them. If someone you sends you something, confirm directly with them that they sent it to you — because as your blog post mentions, email addresses are easily faked.
    4) Always know what you are clicking on. This means that you can’t browse the web in Internet Explorer; and in Firefox, turn off JavaScript’s ability to change status bar text.
    5) Don’t download and install programs unless they are from a known and trusted source.
    6) Change explorer settings to always show file extensions. This way, you can always see what kind of file you are opening - and won’t be tricked into running “FamilyPhoto.jpg……….exe”

Those six things will ensure that the ordinary person will never get a virus on Windows. If you wish to be safe, download a free AV solution such as ClamAV, and scan your hard drive once a month.