Thread: BOOTCD memory overflow error

BOOTCD memory overflow error

Brand new barebones kit from tigerdirect, fired up without problems, Asus M2N-MX SE Plus Motherboard , western Digital Serial AtA HDD,

Bios has recognized my optical drive, memory and hard drive. Set via bios for optical to act as primary boot.

When trying to install WIND XP, 1 mintue of flashing cursor and then
    BOOT CD MEMORY OVERFLOW ERROR and it stays on this screen.

I have rebooted several times, this is a brand new XP CD. Any advice will be appreciated. I have built 3 other barebones with no problem.

Is there something I need to do differently being a SATA HDD ?

see similar threads: CDBOOT: MEMORY OVERFLOW ERROR

If you are trying to boot from the install cd then you have got to change the boot sequence in CMOS to the CD-ROM drive is first then boot from the install cd and it should work fine.

Also I would check to make sure the RAM is secured in the slots tightly.

Well first it would help to know the make and model of the LT as some have partitions on the HDD to store a Hidden Partition that is put there by the maker.

If you have a floppy you can go in with a DOS Floppy and run FDISK to see exactly what partitions are on the HDD and what they actually are. If there is only one then you can run a wiping utility which writes 0's to every sector and totally erases the HDD but only if there is one partition. If there is a hidden Partition you will have to remove it with the FDISK utility and then remake it again with the FDISK utility and then try reloading the LT.

If you do no have a floppy drive you'll have to make up a Boot able CD and load the required utilities to it so you can boot from the CD and then proceed in DOS to find out exactly what is currently on the HDD.

If you have the option run a wiping utility in DOS over the HDD that way you will erase every bit of data on the drive and there is no possibility of any infections reappearing when the install is complete but only do this if there are no hidden partitions on the Drive. If there are hidden partitions on the drive clean up as best you can with AV and Spy Ware Utilities as this is really the only option left to you unless you are willing to return the LT to the agents to reload it.

I had the same error on my laptop (Dell Inspiron), and can duplicate it on other laptops by removing the hard drive.
    So check your bios to verify it still detects your hard drive.
    Once the hard drive is installed, I can successfully boot to the XP-Sp2 cdrom (legit backup cd). Strange message, but it's been noted in other posts as a hard drive issue with users leaving their hard drive power unplugged on desktop systems and receiving the same error.
    hope it resolves your issue.

Could be because of outdated BIOS code or the CD is scratched. Get the newest BIOS for your system.

Fixed it

I found out the optical drive was bad, but thanks for your suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by mam1955 View Post
    I found out the optical drive was bad, but thanks for your suggestions
    Glad that your problem is solved.