Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Folders opening slow in Windows Explorer - Windows Vista

Operating Systems

Old 28-08-2008

Folders opening slow in Windows Explorer - Windows Vista

I'm running Vista with all the updates upto date from MS. However my windows explorer has been behaving really slowly. For example there is this one folder which whenever I click on it, Explorer freezes for about 15 secs before showing its contents.

Is this a common bug, and what can I do about it? I'll defrag today, but on my XP2100+ it really shouldnt be that slow.
Thanks

Old 28-08-2008

I think that there are many files in that folders which is making it slow to open?
Old 28-08-2008

more than 20 seconds to open a folder with 25 files & 600mb in total is something weird.
Old 28-08-2008

Did you try to run Disk Cleanup?
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools
Old 28-08-2008

What programs are running at backgorund cause it might be caused by that also.
Old 28-08-2008

Take a look at here & try to remove the pbusy OS program background
Old 28-08-2008

You need to look at all the processes running on your computer. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and select task manager. In the processes tab, sort the columns 'Mem Usage' to see what program is using the most memory.

Then type in each name in google to see what the processes are for and if they are safe to shut down.

You then will shut down one process and test if the problem still exist. Do this until your problem is solved.

Note: that any process that has the user name 'SYSTEM' should be avoided if you are not 100% sure if you can shut it down. Most of the processes with your user name can be shut down safely, but do look up what they are for first.

To shut them down, you should go to the program itself and shut it down. This is the safest way, but you could just highlight the process and click the button 'End Process'.

What ever you do, be very observant with distinguishing between the 'explorer' and 'iexplorer' process.

The 'explorer' process should Never be shut down. If you do shut it down, you will have to restart your computer.

The 'iexplorer' is for your IE browser and can be shut down with the 'End Process' button. This is recomended as it sometimes can keep running in the background and eat up memory even if you closed all your browsers.

Good Luck.
Old 29-08-2008

Thanks jajjii for your useful tip. I was just thinking how to speed up my computer but didn't know how and what to do. I will try that.
Old 29-08-2008

If you permanently want to stop certain programs or services from running each time you start your comptuer, you can go to 'start' then 'run' and type in "MSCONFIG". You can uncheck all the programs in the startup and service tab that you do not want to have running.

This will help you speed up your computer.
Old 29-08-2008

Thanks jajjii once again. The latter one was more helpful and a bit easy for me.
Old 01-03-2009

Re: Folders opening slow in Windows Explorer - Windows Vista

Hey guys, I had the same problem...but I figured it out...

I have a folder with 60GB of Movies, and I changed my Utorrent settings to dump completed files into that folder. Thats when I started experiencing the slow response times.. I changed it back to the way it was, and its working fine. So check your Utorrent settings as it may be a culprit..
Old 18-08-2009

i have been having the same problem now. when i boot my windows, the explorer works fine for a while, afterwards, when i open a folder, it freezes for 5-10 secs and then opens, and when i close it, it again takes 5-10 secs and then closes. other programs work fine. any suggestions?
Old 19-08-2009

• May be your pc having a virus or malware. Download Norton Security Scan , its free. Perform a free virus scan.
  • Also to make your pc free from spywares Download Ad-Aware and
  • And it can be because of some unsigned drivers, see this help Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP
  • Perform a DISK CLEANUP as Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup.
  • Also do the defrag of your hard disk partitions.
Old 19-08-2009

@ badboyzasr,
What is the memory status of your OS drive which has to be C drive by default?
If its full then its obvious to see such behavior. Try to do a Virus scan too with an updated antivirus & spyware.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,