Thread: Is RAR Expander a safe application to use on a Mac?

Is RAR Expander a safe application to use on a Mac?

I have a lot of files on my friends computer which I took on my pen drive. This was actually done by my friends and he told me to download some rar supported software because he has compressed those files into a single .rar file. When came to my home, I searched for some software that would open this rar file. The first software that come to me was rar expander. Since it was a free software available for download, I don't know how this software is. Is there anyone who have used this software and are aware about its advantages and disadvantages? And also might be knowing if it is safe application to use? I am running Mac OS X.

Re: Is RAR Expander a safe application to use on a Mac?

RAR Expander is a Mac OS X program which extracts the files contained in RAR archives. It supports both single and multi-part archives, and has support for password-protected archives as well. It uses the official unRAR library internally so it is fully compatible with archives produced by WinRAR. RAR Expander also features AppleScript support, and includes a few useful example scripts for expanding multiple archives at once.

Are you talking about RAR Expander? Yes you can definitely use this application and it is perfectly safe. Since it is an open source project, you could download and use it without anyone concerned. It is also safe software because you will not find any spyware or adware associated with this application. The only problem that is associated with this is that it uses official unRAR library. But this doesn't create you any problem at all.

I don't know about rar expander but I personally use 7-zip on my home computer. It does an excellent compression and decompression of files. Even 7-zip is an open source software. 7-Zip has a high compression ratio with LZMA compression. It supports a lot of files including 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR but it can allows you to decompress the files with extensions ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z. It also provides AES-256 encryption to ensure safety.

I have personally used Rar Expander on my Mac computer and was not really happy with it. I later on changed my mind and used StuffIt Expander. I was not knowing about this but recently came to know that this program is built in on Mac computer. However if you want then you can even use UnrarX to open .rar file on Mac computer.