Thread: Installing Windows Xp on Acer laptop that came with preinstalled Windows Vista

Installing Windows Xp on Acer laptop that came with preinstalled Windows Vista

I am having problems regarding why I cannot install Windows XP on Acer Laptop that came with the preinstalled Windows Vista on it. I searched this on many sites but cannot get any information. The drive appears to clean up OK (with WipeDrive Pro) and accept the XP install (including Acer's SATA controller drivers at the F6 point) but, at the finish, XP won't run. Wiping the drive again and reinstalling Vista works. On the Acer website they tell me that
    "there is a known issue with trying to overwrite a Vista formatted drive with XP". And say that only "Microsoft knowledge base will guide you through how to prepare a Vista formattted drive to accept a XP installation" . Can anyone help me out with this problem. Thanks in advance

Have you tried formatting by using Windows XP cd? Was there any hidden partition?

What you need to do is try to create a new partition & install XP on that & use C drive as data partition. You can also clone the XP partition & restore to C drive if you dont want to leave it like that perhaps by keeping in mind that the Boot.ini file will be on C drive. Get a new drive.