Thread: Want to remove Windows XP

Want to remove Windows XP

Hi,
    I have XP home installed on my hard drive! I installed XP Pro on it. Now when i restart i ahve two XP on my system & i want to delete Windows XP home. What is the correct method to do such? Any help?

When you boot up does it give you a choice of which to boot into? right that means you have XP home on one partition & XP professional on another right? & you want to delete the XP home? You'll have to edit your MBR Run > msconfig > boot.ini make sure which line you edit. You can destroy your current install. Backups are a good thing right about now as always.
    OR
    Follow this

You have two windows Xp copies on the same hard disk.
    If you need to delete one Windows Xp copies, and leave only one, here is how you do it:
    1) Restart your system You will get two choices of the Operating System!
    2) Choose that Operating System which you want to keep as it is installed on your system.
    3) Now you are into that OS which you want to retain on your system. Wait till your OS becomes ready to perform further tasks!
    4) Double click "My Computer" icon You will see atleast two drives "C" & "D". If the other copy of Operating system you want to remove must be installed in "D:"Drive.
    5) Now what you have to do 9is just format this D: Drive - Right Click & Choose Format.
    This will erase your unwanted Operating System in your case Windows XP Home!
    Note: Take a backup of your data!

Thanks for the reply guys!
    I will definitely give it a try.

This is very similar to my problem but I have both on d:drive. My computer came this way..with d: as the primary drive. now i have a windows and a windows01 on D: drive but I do not know which is the home edition and which is the pro edtion, anyway I can find out?? Thanks

Yes you can definately find out one simple way to find your operating system you are logged in right now what you can do is just go
    My computer right click & properties in general tab you will get to know what operating system you have installed!

ok Im running the pro edition but the home edition is on the same drive...is there a way I can remove it without harm??

You can remove the one and keep the other very easily. Just log on to the one you want to keep and then straight-away delete the folder of windows that you dont want. For example, in my case, I had 2 Windows XP pro on the the same partition. I logged in on one and deleted the other Windows0 folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Devasis View Post
    You can remove the one and keep the other very easily. Just log on to the one you want to keep and then straight-away delete the folder of windows that you dont want. For example, in my case, I had 2 Windows XP pro on the the same partition. I logged in on one and deleted the other Windows0 folder.
    But this way is not always recommended. The system may behave differently or give some minor problems. Not always but may be. I recommend formatting and installing single fresh copy of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Devasis View Post
    Well deleting an exixting windows OS i dont think is a good idea!

So just look for some program that can edit the boot menu, or boot.ini file -- I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand unless you know what you're doing -- and you can remove that.