Thread: Unable to boot Windows XP

Unable to boot Windows XP

Hello All, I am having a problem with trying to boot Windows.

I have Windows XP and Linux installed (PC Quest Linux 2007). Some days ago, when I tried to logon to Windows, it gave an error message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME". Now, this error has come up earlier as well and I had fixed it then by running the Recovery Console from a bootable windows xp cd. However, now my dvd writer is not working, as in it doesnt detect any cds/dvds I put in. Because of that, I cant run the recovery console from the bootable cd. I tried copying the data from the cd onto a usb drive, and put in the usb at the top of the boot sequence, but that just gave a message "no operating system found".

So, I bought a new dvd writer, external, LG's model LG GE20LU10 but if i put the bootable cd there, it starts with the message " Setup is checking your computer's hardware specifications" and then nothing happens....nothing at all. I am just not sure what to do now, is there any other way apart from getting a new internal dvd writer? I have an IBM Thinkpad R51 2887MQ7.

I would really appreciate any help...Thanks!

Adios.

Have you tried to start the installation of another OS (Linux for example), to see if it proceeds? If it does, that would rule out the possibility of a failing HDD.

Similar issues I've seen are usually hardware problems. I'd suggest running the manufacturer's utility to check your hard drive, and run memtest86 to make sure it's not any of your RAM.

Have a look over here for the solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

This issue can be caused by either a corrupt boot.ini or by a bad hard disk drive.

If its a corrupt boot.ini then you need to boot into the recovery console and I think you know how to move further as you did that.

However, to determine if this is the case of bad hard disk drive then it is recommended you run the Windows XP setup, delete all partitions, recreate the partitions, format the hard disk drive, and reinstall Windows XP. If you encounter any error during the creation of the partitions or the format process it is likely that the hard disk drive is bad and it should be replaced.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your comments...but yes, I know how to run the recovery console and take it from there...but the problem is that when I put in an original windows xp cd, it runs the setup and shows the following message

"Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuraion..."

and then the screen goes blank, I have no idea why. My laptop just hangs...

and the hard drive doesnt really seem to be the problem..coz the linux installation I am using (based on FCC6) - I have mounted all my windows drives and can access them all, including the C drive.

So, that ways, I can backup my data and format the windows and then reinstall. But, wouldn't want to lose the data I have in the Linux partition.

Would anyone know why it hangs while running the windows xp setup?

There is nothing wrong with the cd as I have tried using a couple of different discs, same thing happens.

Thanks for your help!

Did you followed the linked provided by unlimitedtech and saw the 3rd point under RESOLUTION? If not than I think you need to see that first.

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME". is for sure a linux error, try setting up your Grub again and go from there. Linux will always take over an NTBOOT file when duel booted with windows.

Rammy

Yes Fabian, I followed the link unlimitedtech gave...see, my problem is I cant get to the recovery console; I insert the cd, it boots from the cd, I get the following message...

"Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuraion..."

and then the screen just goes blank, and nothing happens; and I have waited for like 10 mins on that screen. It just hangs at that point. Once I get to the recovery console, then I can take it from there.

Any ideas on why this could be happening?

One more thing, how do i go about formatting the c drive (windows boot drive) on my computer from linux? as in, it seems like the only method left is to take a backup of everything and then format windows. But, would I also lose the data I have in the rest of the partitions of windows (non-boot) and also the linux one? Is there a way I can format/reinstall windows and then grub takes the same entries again?

Thanks for your comments y'all...

Adios.

Quote Originally Posted by code poet View Post
    One more thing, how do i go about formatting the c drive (windows boot drive) on my computer from linux? as in, it seems like the only method left is to take a backup of everything and then format windows. But, would I also lose the data I have in the rest of the partitions of windows (non-boot) and also the linux one? Is there a way I can format/reinstall windows and then grub takes the same entries again?

Thanks for your comments y'all...

Adios.
    Formatting windows partition will not affect any other partition and the data in other partitions will be safe. Unless you format those partitions as well, data in those partitions will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by code poet View Post
    Is there a way I can format/reinstall windows and then grub takes the same entries again?
    I dont think the same entries will remain as after installing fresh Windows, all the previous settings in Windows folder are washed out replacing them with the new ones. There might be some tricks or third party programs which take the same entries but i am unaware about it.