Thread: Windows Vista which Version to use?

Windows Vista which Version to use?

Hi,
    Just finished with basic new build & i am not deciding upon which version of windows Vista to use? Is Ultimate really better than Home Premium or not?
    I would like to know your suggestions!

First figure out whats your requirements are? That will help you to choose the OS!
    The latest release of the Microsoft Windows family comes in five different versions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise and Ultimate.
    It all depends on what you plan to use it for or what type of environment you are in. For example, a business will likely not want to install the Home editions on their company workstations. If you plan to take advantage of features such as BitLocker Drive Encryption, you will need to install the Enterprise edition or Vista Ultimate. What it comes down to is you need to do some research and find out what Vista features you need.

I dont need domain functionality & encryption.
    It will be a gaming rig & some programming stuff.
    Again there is a confusion about OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) OR Retail?

home premium is best for people who dont need access business networking tools, encryption, etc.
    "If you upgrade your PC regularly and have Vista OEM, you are at the mercy of MS activation, as soon as they decide your PC is different enough to qualify as a "new" PC, you need to buy a new copy of Vista, your old one will no longer activate."
    Officially, the only piece of hardware they consider enforcing on is the motherboard.

OEM: If you significantly upgrade your computer and reinstall Windows, your license is no longer good because the license was for that specific configuration and machine. OR Retail: you can install Windows as many times as you want on different configurations. But ONLY on one machine. So you can upgrade and upgrade and that copy will always be fine.