Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Gnome or KDE?

Operating Systems

Old 21-08-2008

Gnome or KDE?

I am currently working on the family PC, under Win XP. I would like to go for Linux but my parents do not want that, they are afraid that I will make a mess of it ... So I just buought an external hd, which will allow me to install Linux on it. But which? I believe (from what I have already read) Ubuntu is best to start ... But would want to go for KDE or GNOME? Knowing that I'm doing the programming what is the best (in terms of programs, etc. .)???

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Old 21-08-2008

Gnome and KDE are actually "desktop environment", a concept that does not exist on windows, programmes and all basic features of the PC are exactly the same, it is only the appearance that changes completely. Personally, I've always used, when I still worked with a graphical user interface, KDE, but it is only a matter of taste. Look at a few screen to see what suits you more.

Regarding Ubuntu it is true that it is often advisable for novices. I always used Suse, and I am very well in it. Use of a distribution of Linux is no more difficult than using Windows, the only difference is that with Linux, if you want to move to a more advanced level, you have the opportunity, not as like Windows ..
Old 21-08-2008

Thank you, but I know it already ... I am just wondering if there would had been a more convenient than the other in my case ... Otherwise I think I will not complicate with others, I'll get GNOME ... I already have the Live CD

Thank you for your answers!
Old 21-08-2008

The question is rather a request for an opinion on Ubuntu and desktop environments. So, my opinion is that I am very satisfied with my Debian Etch, and the Open-Suse 10.3 also works very well, which I find it least in Ubuntu and its default desktop environment customizable Gnome, less flexible. The desktop environments also determine, to some extent, embedded applications, which are generally optimized for this or that environment, but also work in third environments. The choice of distributions is vast and is determined by use, which will be made. For now, I have a preference for Etch, very stable, complete, timely, even with my little machine.

And for your parents, they will quickly understand the benefit that can be learned from an internet station in Linux compared to a station Wind Xp (assistance, security, confidentiality, speed ..).
Old 21-08-2008

There are many types of Linux Distribution freely available in the market like FoXLinux, Mandriva, OpenSuSE, Fedora, CentOS, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux (DSL), Ultima Linux, etc. You can also follow the link below to choose from various Linux Distribution: How to select a proper Linux distribution

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,