Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 16-08-2008

Fake blue screen of deaths & warning spyware detected in the background

I am getting random fake blue screen of death & windows xp boot screen (when turning on the computer on first time you get a blue bar) after scanning for viruses. My Pc has also slow down a bit. The backgorund of my desktop is blue in color & says that "Warning Spyware detected on your computer install an anti-virus or spyware remover to clean your computer" and also the tabs to change the background are missing? For this I have scanned my pc with different online scanners that are freely available but I cannot find anything. Please help me with this.

HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:12:20 PM, on 8/14/2008
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

[Mod Note: Log removed pending pre-steps]
Old 16-08-2008

Try installing AVG AntiVirus to remove any viruses that can be causing this. Get it from download.com. If all those don't work, you should use "System Restore" in the Control Panel.

You could also try microsofts "malicious software removal tool": http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 16-08-2008

Go and get yourself process explorer here

Remember to close any programs running in the background. Then open process explorer and eliminate any virus processes. Here is a screenshot if you dont know how to dot it and after it is done post it here on the forums.

After that is done go here & go to 285th line and rightclick on "Restore All Display Tabs" and "save as" and save it to the desktop then double click it on the desktop and click "OK". If you have done this then change your wallpaper & screensaver.
Old 18-08-2008

May be due to Antivirus XP 2008 edition

Are you download Antivirus XP 2008 trial version? if so, it will happen. It never have uninstallation. we need to remove manually. 2 services run in backround. Remove all that. And, your temporary blue screen is nothing but a screen saver, may be available in system32 folder with the extension of .scr. Check it.

Meenakshi Sundaram
(Tech & SEO)
NetLink Technologies Ltd, Chennai
Old 21-08-2008

I am seemingly having the same issue as sivaranjan. After uninslalling Antivirus XP 2008 (maybe fake program... seemed to be cause) in normal and safe mode. I used Webroot spysweeper Antivirus and also CCleaner (for registry), Webroot Spysweeper found a virus "Anti Virus 2008". I Quarantined the virus then used CCleaner to fix registry issues. The result has been a removal of the bright blue backround desktop color that & the yellow/black waring that says "Warning Spyware detected on your computer install an anti-virus or spyware remover to clean your computer". However I still get the blue screen/windows startup screen saver when runnning a virus scan. When I left a fresh virus scan paused, 3 Items were deteceted when the blue screen/win screen saver came on. (They are doubleclick cookie, specificclick.com cookie, and webtrendslive cookie)

I still am missing my Screen Saver and Desktop tab when I go to change my display setttings. Also I am still am getting the fake bluc screen/windows startup screen saver. If anyone has more detailed information on this spesific virus or on a solution please help.

If it helps when Searched my system32 folder for .scr i found the following files

blphcgcmj0er5t
eventquery
logon
pagefileconfig
scrnsave
ss3dfo
ssbezier
ssflwbox
ssmarque
ssmypics
ssmyst
sspipes
ssstars
sstext3d
AGTCORE
sysfiles
usmtdef
LMAAB1UI
Old 22-08-2008

ThumbsUp Antivirus XP 2008 solution!!

Like alot of you, I too have gotten this virus from God knows where, but I have found a solution that has worked!! I have download Malwarebytes at http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html

It's free and it works! It also gave me back my Display Tabs and wallpaper, got rid of the blue background and COMPLETELY removed this virus from my computer! If you have other problems from this virus, I strongly suggest you visit this address:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035_102...798150#2798150

Scroll down a couple of messages and look for the solution from the Moderator, Grif. He's the man!
You will find your solution to almost anything this virus has done to your computer. Just look under anything that Grif, has wrote! I mean there are pages of people just thanking this guy for solving their computer problems associated with this virus. Hope this helps, it has me!

bluegrassgirl
Old 22-08-2008

BTW, if the Malwarebytes download doesn't help some people with getting their Display Tabs and Wallpaper back (but it will remove the virus from your computer), the following will:

Click on Start
then Run
Type Regedit

Then click on the following folders:
HKey_User_Name\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System

Look in the right pane for a value called NoDispBackgroundPage. If it exists it's set to a value of 1.
Change it to 0 (double click where it says NoDispBackgroundPage) or you can right click the entry and select Delete. This has the same effect as setting it to 0.
Click OK and close everything and right click on your Desktop and go to Properties (or go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display) and you should have all of your Desktop Tabs, Wallpaper and no blue screen and your computer will be back the way it was before this TERROR reared its ugly head! Hope this helps!
Bluegrassgirl
Old 22-08-2008

Take a look at this tips to uninstall XP Antivirus 2008: How to uninstall XP antivirus 08 !
Old 23-08-2008

Well, alot of people are having trouble removing it with Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. This was the first thing I tried to do and guess what?....I wouldn't let me. It gives an error message and then closes, so you'd be better off just removing the virus with Malwarebytes, Avira AntiVir Personal, & SuperAntiSpyware. All of which are free. I used Malwarebytes yesterday and wala...no more virus. I got a disk from my company's computer tech (which had Avira and SuperAntiSpyware on it) and went ahead and scanned my computer using both of them, but I have to say that Malwarebytes worked perfect for me the first time I used it yesterday and if it doesn't bring back your Display Tabs and Wallpaper, check out my message (a couple messages up) with instructions on how to get that stuff back to normal and it's very easy!
Old 23-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Well, alot of people are having trouble removing it with Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. This was the first thing I tried to do and guess what?....I wouldn't let me. It gives an error message and then closes, so you'd be better off just removing the virus with Malwarebytes, Avira AntiVir Personal, & SuperAntiSpyware. All of which are free. I used Malwarebytes yesterday and wala...no more virus. I got a disk from my company's computer tech (which had Avira and SuperAntiSpyware on it) and went ahead and scanned my computer using both of them, but I have to say that Malwarebytes worked perfect for me the first time I used it yesterday and if it doesn't bring back your Display Tabs and Wallpaper, check out my message (a couple messages up) with instructions on how to get that stuff back to normal and it's very easy!
I also happened to get this xp antivirus 2008 just week ago & thanks to Big Fish that he suggested me the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in this thread (Infected with XP AntiVirus 2008?) which removed this nasty. Now i can see my pc booting fast as well.
Old 09-09-2008

Thanks to the .scr idea i found mine blphccjhj0eaa5.scr.
deleted

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,