Thread: Can't move or delete files

Can't move or delete files

Hi,

I am trying to move a file from one folder to another but i get a message each time saying its in use by another program. I can't move or delete the individual files or the folders . I'm stuck and can't work until I solve this problem

Hi,

Close all the running applications , restart the computer and then try moving the files. If this doesn't works, pls let me know the type of file you are trying to move.

i am having the same prob. i had dual boot xp in c: and vista in d:. as i decided to have xp only i deleted all the files in d: as i didnot know how to unistal vista. Now i have some directories in d: which i can't delete. i am having an error message "the files are in use". How to delete these files?

Quote Originally Posted by smanimdu View Post
    i am having the same prob. i had dual boot xp in c: and vista in d:. as i decided to have xp only i deleted all the files in d: as i didnot know how to unistal vista. Now i have some directories in d: which i can't delete. i am having an error message "the files are in use". How to delete these files?
    Despite all its quirks, Windows does do some things for a good reason. Some files need to be locked down when they are in use, otherwise you risk damaging the file or harming the Operating System. Unfortunately Windows XP seems to be plagued by files that cannot be deleted. These are frequently simple files like videos (AVI), MP3s or other seemingly harmless files. You try to delete the file, Windows waits a few seconds before announcing that access is denied, the file is currently in use and cannot be deleted. However, you know it's not in use and you just want it deleted.

If you have encountered this problem, here is a step-by-step process for trying to purge the files you can't delete. It starts with the basics for Windows XP and moves on to more involved tricks. The process will work for all recent Windows releases, but Windows XP has been causing the most the problems, so we will focus on it. Please note: we are assuming that the file is not crucial to the operation of Windows - deleting important system files can cause havoc.

1. Is the file in use? It sounds obvious but it happens. If it is being used or open, close the file and the application that opened it. For example, if it is a Word document, close Microsoft Word.

2. If the file was opened in an application (and subsequently closed), but the program is still running, try quitting the program. Windows will lock a file because the application hasn't yet released it. This is not always Windows fault and can be the fault of the program.

3. If the file is an AVI, in particular a DivX AVI, try renaming it and then deleting it. DivX files don't get on very well with Windows XP and sometimes renaming the file can trick Windows into releasing it.

4. Reboot your PC and don't start any programs. Go directly to the file and delete it.

5. In Windows Explorer, switch to View-Details and then select View-Choose Details. Uncheck everything except the file name. This stops Windows XP trying to read the file - this problem affects many video, audio and graphics files.

6. Still no luck? OK, here is the best trick of all. Most sites give you cryptic Windows registry and DOS commands to remove a file, but the answer is so much simpler. Get a copy of MoveOnBoot. It's free and this simple tool allows you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock or alter the files. The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows starts, hence it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its instructions. There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step process.

• Step 1: Locate the name of the file that is causing your problems.
    • Step 2: Decide if you want to copy, move or delete the file.
    • Step 3. Choose a destination for moving the file, or a new file name for the rename option (this option won't appear if you are deleting a file).

7. Click OK to confirm you want to process. The nice thing is that the program doesn't make you reboot straight away. It's a good idea to reboot ASAP, but if you are in the middle of something and want to wait, the program will simply run next time you start Windows.

source: softwarepatch.com

If the file reappears again (check its creation date to ensure it is being recreated) and you can't make it budge, you may have trouble with spyware or a virus on your system (don't overlook the possibility it may also be an important system file). In this case you should get a good spyware removal program to scan your system.

This might assist you -

Unlocker

Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows?

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Simply right click the folder or file and select Unlocker

Unlocker is completely free and will always remain free, which means you can use it free of charge for any purposes. If you are satisfied with Unlocker and want to help Unlocker improve or motivate the development of other quality programs, any amount of donation small or large will be welcome and gratefully appreciated.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

If you use the following App to install all future software, then it will undo All the changes + files etc created when uninstalling. I use it every time and have never had a problem with it at all -

Total Uninstall

Powerful installation monitor and uninstaller
    Total Uninstall monitors any changes made to your system during the installation of a new application.
    The program allows you to perform a complete uninstall without having to rely on the supplied Add/Remove program which can leave files or changes behind.

http://www.martau.com/

After using TU to uninstall i always follow with a full Registry clean up with this -

RegSeeker 1.45:

RegSeeker is a perfect companion for your Windows registry !
    RegSeeker includes a powerful registry cleaner and can display various informations like your startup entries, several histories (even index.dat files), installed applications and much more ! With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry. RegSeeker also includes a tweaks panel to optimize your OS ! Now RegSeeker includes a file tool to search for duplicate files, bad shortcuts and more !

RegSeeker is FREE for personal use only !

Source: sysinternals.com

If there are no data in D: drive as you mention then try formatting that drive for instance. Let us know your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by nitesh mehta View Post
    If there are no data in D: drive as you mention then try formatting that drive for instance. Let us know your progress.
    i had some large files in d:. so tried to delete the remnants of vista instead of copying the large files to other drives. but nothing worked. i had to copy my files and finally formated d:
    thnks all of for ur advices.

Re: Can't move or delete files

me too i have the same problem with them. i cant delete the file type DAT..it says The file is in use by another program or user... please help me with my problem... thanks^_^

Re: Can't move or delete files

Quote Originally Posted by kheijhei21 View Post
    me too i have the same problem with them. i cant delete the file type DAT..it says The file is in use by another program or user... please help me with my problem... thanks^_^
    3. If the file is an AVI, in particular a DivX AVI, try renaming it and then deleting it. DivX files don't get on very well with Windows XP and sometimes renaming the file can trick Windows into releasing it.
    Did you follow the above solutions given already?