Thread: Suggestions needed on handling of suspected invalid OS with crack tool installed

ohmy Suggestions needed on handling of suspected invalid OS with crack tool installed

Hi everyone, I need some assistance. I purchased a pc from a local mom/pop type pc shop about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I was working on setting up networking for sharing printer/files and I rebooted the system and when it came back up, it wanted me to activate Windows XP. So of course, I went through the whole thing. It wouldn't let me do it online, so I called the number provided. I read the numbers out to them and they told me to enter the Product Key provided. (which I had to use winkeyfinder to extract the product key, because I was not provided with these with purchase of the pc). Anyway, they told me it could not be activated. So they supposedly put me through to tech support which I hung on the line for about 20 mins. and nothing. Anyway, long story short, I gave up on Microsoft, they were of no help.

Today I called the shop I bought the pc from. He acted suspiciously and told me to bring the pc back and they will reinstall windows for me, in the process of discouraging me from using file/print sharing because it leaves me open for others getting in my pc. I told him I will need a COA once windows is reinstalled. A couple of hours later, the guy calls me back, its ready.

So we go to pick it up, he did indeed tape a COA inside of the casing. He showed me windows was installed again, and even included Microsoft Office, Excel and all that good stuff. (hmm, freebies?)

I asked him to take me to the Microsoft website and to do the Genuine Advantage thing, to prove to me that the XP pro version was legit. Well it breezed through quickly, but it indeed said it was Geniune. So I thanked him for fixing it, while getting a deeper lecture for watching downloading videos AND file sharing etc. That he thinks that is what caused the problem to begin with.

I explained briefly that I have never had an activation issue with any of my other pcs (they were always store bought) and just seems kind of kooky this happened, but ok. It's back and I have a product key now. Then I had a duh moment, that product key still isn't any good without a cd. (I know, brilliant!)

Anyway, This is where the fun begins....

I get home and start my own personal settings. Installing my programs I use etc. I have a specific virus/firewall programs that I like to use, so I uninstalled the ones he had installed. Immediately upon running the initial scan of the system, the spyware came up with a warning of a antiwpa.dll file. DING DING DING.

Now, I am what I consider myself to be an intermediate user...after scanning the web last night confused about why it wanted me to activate Windows, I naturally ran across some 'fixes'. NOT for me, as I don't want issues down the road. I want it all legit.

I knew what this file was, from what I read last night....but I googled the file and sure enough it is what I thought it was.

Then I searched for the file on my pc says that this file was created on todays date, during the time he had the pc. However, the 'modified' section right below that says 'May 25, 2003'. (that part confused me). And or course, below that, the 'accessed' time, when I pulled the info on it.

Now I don't need to have a house fall on me, I know what I need. I want a legimate Windows XP Pro version with a valid Product Key and CD. I know I will have to buy one. (or have him buy one....No, give me the money to buy one....as he has completely lost my trust!)

My question is, how should I confront this guy about this issue? Let him know I found the file?
    Ask why it was installed?

I'm betting that if I run winkeyfinder on this now, that the product key taped inside my case won't match the product key it supplies me.

I don't want to install or do anything else until I get an answer. I'm calling him back in the morning, but I don't know how to approach it.

How much trouble can he get in for this? I like my pc and I want to keep it, but I just want a legimate Windows XP system, so down the road I don't have any issues. THANK GOD, this happened before the 30 days warranty was over.

Once he gave me the speech this evening about how he will cover any hardware issues, but he does not cover software issues...I knew where he was heading with it. Another words, I have 'activation' issues again, I'm on my own. (least that is how I took it).

Anybody with suggestions?

Much thanks, Jenster

The whole story deals with the issue that you want a Genuine Windows XP in your system while the shop person is not giving that (or he is not able to give that).

You might need to pay extra for that legitimate version of XP with a valid CD key. Coz many of the dealers dont usually give genuine XP installed as it costs much more. Just ask your dealer and convince him that you want the legit version only.

But why you need a genuine version only? I am using a cracked version for so many years without any problems till now

Hi, Well i've always had geniune versions and never once had a problem with having to activate/invalid etc. After yesterday and not being able to activate, I was left with a useless pc. Now that its working, all is fine and dandy....but what do I do when it happens again? Say a month or two down the road, something happens and they want to me activate again? It doesn't go through....I'm without pc again!

Now keep in mind the guy already told me, he won't cover the software...specifically meaning the OS.

One response above says "You might need to pay extra for that legitimate version of XP with a valid CD key."

I don't get why I should have to pay more, when I thought I was getting the legit one to begin with. Afterall, its illegal, right?

My first thought in buying something from a business, isn't....well this might be illegal, maybe I should ask first to be sure I am getting a legit OS. My g-f bought a pc from the same guy about 2-3 months ago and she has had no issues whatsoever.

I just don't want to have problems down the road, that's all. Not wanting to get anyone in trouble. But I am very aggravated that he made it seem like it was my fault, that accessing network file sharing etc had something to do with Windows asking for me to activate it.

I dont think accessing network files and printer makes any problem with the activation of windows.

Many dealers, as far as i know, hesitate to provide with a genuine version of any software, especially OS. I dont understand what benefit they get by selling cracked versions.

Anyways, its always better, as you said, to confirm before buying whether the dealer is going to install a genuine OS in the system or not. Coz after buying, they usually tend to find problems in us, as in your case

The shop owner should not do that. Its like a cheating

Force him to install a legit XP in your system and get assurance from him that no problems will arise later.