Thread: Windows is unable to format kingston DT109

Windows is unable to format kingston DT109

Hi,

I recently bought a new 8 Gb Pendrive "DataTraveler 109" about a month ago. I used it for about 5 to 7 times for transferring data from my desktop to laptop, thats it. Now due to some reason i need to format the drive, but when i try doing the same, windows is just unable to format it and instead gives me an error message. However i am still able to use the drive without any problems.

Any idea what could be the reason and how can i fix it? Many thanks.

Re: Windows is unable to format kingston DT109

How are you trying to format the drive, is it by right clicking the same from windows explorer? If yes and it is not working then try to do it from Disk Management. You can reach there by typing "diskmgmt.msc" in Start > RUN. In the opened window you will see your Kingston drive. Simply right click and select Format.

Hope it works.

Hey even i have a very similar problem with a Kingston 32GB flash drive. It just wont format from Windows Explorer. But when i try to follow the above suggestion, my system freezes as soon as i open Disk Management console. I dont know what is wrong. It is Windows XP. Surprisingly when i open diskmgmt without pen drive connected, it opens fine but when i connect the drive, it freezes. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Beenal View Post
    You can reach there by typing "diskmgmt.msc" in Start > RUN. In the opened window you will see your Kingston drive. Simply right click and select Format.
    Thank you very much for the help Beenal. That was really very helpful. Windows formatted the drive in seconds from disk management. That’s I wanted to do.

Help appreciated.

Hello Nikhilas, can I know why do you want to format the drive? Is there any Virus issue? I think so because the systems usually get freeze when you connect any infected drive. If that is the reasons first of all scan and clean your flash drive with any good and updated antivirus.

If virus is not the problem then better try connecting the device in some another computer and try to format because I have never faced this situation where Disk Management freezes when you connect the drive.

Anyways, still I suspect your drive is infected. Better clean it.