Thread: How to fix Windows Update SP1 Error 78f on Office 2007

How to fix Windows Update SP1 Error 78f on Office 2007

Now able to run fresh Office update. Getting a error - Windows Update failed to install Office 2007 SP1 Error Code 78f. I have a non english version of Windows Vista. Is this error is related to the language. If yes then from where I can download updates in Latin. I had tried to search the same on Microsoft site, but nothing is listed about the same. Windows Vista and Office 2007 both are compatible but the updates failed usually. Is anyone facing the same error.

re: How to fix Windows Update SP1 Error 78f on Office 2007

I too have the same issue in my laptop. I have a Acer Travelmate laptop with Vista Business Edition. It is a english version. When I had gone with the updates I faced the same error. So to some extent it does not looks any issue with the language. Windows Update is unable to run any fresh updates. There are more errors in my computer. The first one is Error 1935 which is related to some installation file. The second is related SP3 update. The error code for the same is 1603. The updates looks to be downloaded well, but when it tries to install on its own, the error pops up. Does re-installing Office can fix the issue. I had already done the Repair setup through Office 2007 installation disc. But that did not helped. After re-running the setup it again crashed.

I am too having the exact error. The code is 78F. My laptop is quiet new. It is having Vista Business edition. And at the time of purchased I got Office 2007 installed. After getting new updates the setup crashed on that error. I tried to run the setup again manually but that too does not work. It looks the update is itself buggy. My uncle has already tried a a number of time to re-install the update but that too did not worked.

re: How to fix Windows Update SP1 Error 78f on Office 2007

Same thing here. Re-installed office but that did not helped. I contacted Microsoft for the issue but yet not reply. It looks issue with Vista installer. I had tried to find a cure for that but still nothing worked. The update consist of a basic process which is first downloading file, then installing them and the last is configuration. So that operating system can get the fresh settings. The issue mostly appear at the time of setup. And in some pc I had seen pc restarted suddenly after the download. Somehow if the configuration process is interrupted then this kind of errors are generated. So it is necessary that the process is not interrupted at any condition. Sometime manual updates work. You can download that directly and run the setup. I do this for many updates which fail to install automatically.

I had upgraded Office 2007 over 2003. Due to which I had seen that a number of functions did not work properly. Like in Outlook I was not able to get the search function respond well. I had re-installed the same from scratch. The fresh updates show up the size of around 100Mb. It was downloaded well. But setup did not worked. I had restarted my system and tried back. I did more changes here.I had re-installed the same a number of time, but still nothing worked out. I had checked the log files which show up that the error and it was 78f. Please provide me a bit more help on the same to fix this thing.

In my system I had removed Office activation. The installation of Office 2007 was fine. There was no issue at all. I had bought the license key of the same. But getting the same error on update. My friend suggested that the update is essential for security. It looks that SP1 is not proper or may not compatible with Vista. In my friend laptop he had tried to run a repair setup, expecting that Office will work fine. But still not help here. I tried to find the update download on Microsoft. But it looks they are not providing the same. Also there is no article available that can put more highlight on the cause of this error.

I had kept the updates on download. When I was back I found the error. The updates were not fully downloaded. I checked in Update history which shows that SP1 update has failed to install. Yet there is no serious error in my computer. I had tried a number of time to get it back but it did not worked. Does my antivirus is blocking the update installation.

My friend gave me a Office CD with update copied on the same. First I had installed Office and then ran the update. It worked. This was another nice option I found beneficial. Because if you run the update online then there are some issues which causes the failure. The same I tried in my dads laptop. The process was online but did not worked. I had tried to use Office disc and then run the update directly online. At the end when the entire update is downloaded, it crashed. The error log says a serious error. Will that affect the system performance. Maximum number of forums are just discussing about the issue instead of giving a intact answer on the same.

My updates too crashed at first time. I just want to know that will it affect the performance of other application also. I am using a customized edition of Office. I had removed the components which are not needed. A number of time it asked for Office disc to install certain files. So I keep the Office 2007 installation disc inside CD/DVD drive. But at the time of update I had removed the disc and it crashed with errors that are mentioned above. I tried back by keeping the Office installation disc in pc and it worked. There were no errors at all. So it looks this update while configuring setup needs some files from Office installation disc.

I have some options that can help you to fix the issue. I got the issue in Windows XP. So the steps that I had tried on XP to fix the issue I did the same in Vista also. The update simply failed a number of time and there were no help on Microsoft forums also. For those who are using a multiple language configuration in Office will face the issue. It should work for single language edition. So I had downloaded and installed SP1 which support multiple languages. Which is 942470 Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 SP1 I think. Also I had removed the .dat file from C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\OFFICE\\DATA which is responsible for Office activation error. Check the below link for more information.
    You receive an error message when you try to install the 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 1