Thread: [solved] The module FM20.DLL was loaded but the call toDllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c

If anyone is running Office 2003 on Windows Vista and comes across below error while installing office update than they can try out followed steps for fixing it:

Error 1904. Setup cannot register module C:\Windows\system32\FM20.DLL. If you click 'Cancel'
    or 'Ignore', run Setup again and re-install or repair your Office installation. If problem persists, contact your Information Technology department for assistance.

Download this Subinacl.msi program, Copy below text in a .bat file and run it as admin.

@echo off
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
    @Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @Echo =========================
    @pause

Now a short process will get started, so wait until you get a message saying "Press any key to continue". After that register FM20.dll again and you should not get same error again. I have tried this out myself and i am quite sure that it works. In case if anyone has any query regarding the steps i have mentioned than feel free to ask.

I have tried following the same but its not working out for me, are you aware of any other solution that i can try out for getting rid of that error?? Help regarding this will be very appreciative.

Re: [solved] The module FM20.DLL was loaded but the call toDllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c

Quote Originally Posted by amnckd View Post
    Hai...
    shall I use it on Windows 7.
    when I am running the bat file in windows 7 it is showing many faled actions
    Did you try to type cmd in the Start Search box above the Start Orb and when cmd.exe appears at the top of the Start Menu, right clicked on it and selected "Run as Administrator" and then executed the regsvr command? This worked for me using Windows 7 as well. The only catch was I had to add the C:\ after the regsvr32

ex: regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\COMCTL32.OCX

Re: [solved] The module FM20.DLL was loaded but the call toDllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c

Thank you for the fast reply...
    I Tried all these....
    Still it is showing the error...
    is there any thing have to be considered when working with 64bit OS?

Quote Originally Posted by amnckd View Post
    Thank you for the fast reply...
    I Tried all these....
    Still it is showing the error...
    is there any thing have to be considered when working with 64bit OS?
    If this error is encountered when using ‘regsvr32 /u ...’, i.e. to unregister a COM object then it probably indicates that the COM object is not registered or has already been unregistered. It is likely that permissions on part of the registry have been changed to deny you access. You will need to be a local administrator to register the COM object. More information can be found here.