Thread: Looking for mainsp3.msp

Looking for mainsp3.msp

I had Office 2003, tried to install Office 2007 over top. This wouldn't work, so I uninstalled Office 2007, then uninstalled 2003. Office 2007 would not install after that. On blog found online, recommended using "Windows Install Cleanup" then go into the regedit to remove all remaining office files.
    I was then able to install Office 2007. Everything works fine, but now I'm getting "Windows Installer" and then "can't find folder containing mainsp3.msp". I realize that it's looking for the file from Office 2003 SP3, but I'm sure that this was deleted with Office 2003. Recommendations??? Help???

this is an update to my inquiry. I have now uninstalled Office 2007 and office 2003. I am still getting the windows installer looking for mainsp3.msp every time i access internet explorer. how do i fix this please... ???

Hekbott Guest

RE: Looking for mainsp3.msp

I had the same problem some days ago, I tried to do lot of things. In my case i tried to install Office 2007 over 2003 but something failed during the installation, the fact is that the two version were overlapped,
    office 2003 asked for mainsp3.msp. I downloaded an update with mainsp... inside, I pointed Insallation to it ....then it asked for anoter file!!!!!!!! Damn! frustrating!

But I found the solution! I used Revo Uninstaller, an exellent program to wipe out programs. It erased all Office 2003 files! Then I uninstalled 2007 also.

Now, With the system complete clean of office... I reinstalled 2007 and Voila!

Everything is normal!

Re: Looking for mainsp3.msp

I am loking for mainsp3.msp

Re: Looking for mainsp3.msp

I think that it will be better to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to clean up the mess in your computer. But since it is not available for download on Microsoft then you will need follow the below link to add, update or remove programs on your pc. Just follow the link given below and you good to go on:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301