Thread: Microsoft KB949074 Update failed to install

Microsoft KB949074 Update failed to install

I am using Microsoft Office 2003. I had kept the updates on manual check. Just performed a fresh update today. The update service found new update. There were around 6 new updates located. Now all were installed except one. It was KB949074. There were no errors. The screen showed that updates was installed properly. I had checked in the Windows Update section where I got the error saying that this one failed. Even after re-running the fresh updates this one only fails which I had mentioned above. Looking for some helpful answer on the same. Thanks.

I too got the same issue. I was also trying to configure fresh setup for Office 2003 on my Windows XP system. I had tried to do that manually also. I found the download online. I had given the link below. But still manual setup shows that that the download failed to install. My friend has a older system which has Office 2000 installed in the same. On that also new updates does not worked. I thought there will be early fix for the same. But yet nothing was provided. I am still shocked to find that manual download do not work on the same.
    Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB949074)
    Description of the update for Office 2003: December 9, 2008

re: Microsoft KB949074 Update failed to install

I am too having similar problem. I have Windows XP and mostly my friend with Vista are facing the problem with Office update. I though this issue only lies with Office 2007. The update KB949074 only fails to install while other works well. I think it would be safe to ignore the same. In future if Microsoft will fix the issue this will be resolved automatically.

I had checked the link above which provides the update download. But that is also not working. The update downloads properly and shows up that the installation was successful. But when when I check in Control Panel I found a error message that updates was not installed properly. A link below will help you to find proper option for getting the update fixed. The update of which we are talking is not a security update. It is a regular one and I think ignoring the same is quiet enough. Troubleshooting updates can provide you some answer to deal with the issue. Another error that I had notice is about Office Source Engine. When I searched on web I found that the update is mostly available for Office 2003 and older XP computer. It will not work in in Vista.

How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation from the Office Update Web site

re: Microsoft KB949074 Update failed to install

I hope you are trying to install the updates in admin account. I am getting this error on a upgraded version of Microsoft Office. The kb article based on troubleshooting updates does not provide a much highlight. I am waiting for more new updates. I had did nothing to fix that. I do not want to generate more errors. The update crashed one time and hope that it will be working the next time when I check for fresh updates.

I ignore all problems which are mostly related to Windows Updates. As they resolve on their own. If you get any error send a report to Microsoft. You will receive specific fix for that. Manual download if mostly of now use. If the update is buggy it will not install on any condition. I have two systems here. Both have Office 2003 installed. There are no additional updates installed in it. The list of update provided by Microsoft keeps on rising. I am looking for hotfix. That is the best solution to fix errors. If there is no hotfix available then you will need to wait back to find a better update for the same.

I am using a monthly update service where I receive a number of new updates at the end of every month. The update site provides proper downloads. All other updates are installed except KB949074. This does not worked at all. I had tried the do the same a number of time, downloaded the file manually, made changes to the compatibility settings while setup, etc. But nothing worked out. I hope this is not a crucial update of Office. so that we can ignore the same. Since I had upgraded to Office 2007 still the same update fails to work. Re-installation does nothing at all. So logically we can expect this is a faulty update.