Thread: I just bought a Toshiba laptop, it says I need a product key

I just bought a Toshiba laptop, it says I need a product key

I bought a new Toshiba laptop that came with Vista and Office 2007 pre-loaded. Everything is working fine except office programs. Whenever I’m trying to access any office application it asks me for the product key ?

Where can I get this product ? Should it have came with my laptop ?

Re: I just bought a Toshiba laptop, it says I need a product key

Usually all new laptop or desktop comes with pre-installed TRAIL version of Office activated for 60days. And now as you said you being prompted for product key, I guess the trial period is now over. You will need to buy a full copy of office from Microsoft, or you can buy it from Amazon as well for saving few dollars. Let me also tell you that the product keys you can see on the behind of your computer is for Vista and not for Office.

If you are confused whether you are having trail or full version of Office installed, first of all you need to pay extra movey at the time of buying the system for getting full version of office. Furthermore you can also check this to confirm the same: How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed

There are few more important Articles you should check for more help:
    How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756/en-us
    How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...px?ofcresset=1

RE: I just bought a Toshiba laptop, it says I need a product key

Even I need some help in the similar scenario. It is my Acer Aspire laptop that came with the auth card saying “Because you are buying a Microsoft Office Ready PC, you new PC has Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 preinstalled. The key on the front of this card is the product key” but when I searched my entire PC, I nowhere found Small business Office suite.

The only thing I got is a Trail version of Office 2007. I bought this laptop from newEgg and when I tried talking to them about this, they simply said “Its not our Problem”. When I tried to talk Microsoft, they simply want to charge me more more for the same

Is this fair ? Any advice ?

Re: I just bought a Toshiba laptop, it says I need a product key

As far as I know you must need to get a Media License Kit (MLK) separately before you can use the software. Call newEgg again and ask them about this. Hope they help you this time.