Thread: Installation ended prematurely because of an error

Installation ended prematurely because of an error

I am using Office 2003 since a long time on my Windows XP system and was working fine without any problem. Two days ago I download windows update and since then my office started behaving weird. Note, I only downloaded updates but dint installed. Since them my office applications started crashing. So I tried to repair but there was an error message “installation ended prematurely because of an error”. It wont allowed me to repair. So I thought to re-install but it dint allowed me to uninstall as well. I tried to insert the CD and install over the existing one but yet the same problem.

I tried to get some help from web and in a Microsoft KB315995 they have mentioned to to run the Setup and in the User Information dialog box, type your product key in the Product Key boxes, and then click OK. But here too was a problem, Product Key boxes never appears.

Can anyone please help me out ? What should I do now ? For your instances, here are the updates I downloaded (but yet not installed):
    KB943649
    KB947355
    KB945432
    KB943985
    Office 2003 SP3

Re: Installation ended prematurely because of an error

According to the situation I think un-installation is a must in order to fix the problem. But as you said the system is not allowing you to repair, uninstall or to overwrite the installation, the only way left to remove it is by using Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

You can get more info about the same here http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=off2003 . Just check it out, remove Office 2003, run disk cleanup as well, restart the computer and than install it back.

Re: Installation ended prematurely because of an error

Thanks for the help buddy. Meanwhile I too got through Windows Installer CleanUp Utility in KB932857 and fixed the problem using the same. BTW, it was helpful. Thank you again.