Thread: Office 2007 Upgrade won't recognise previous version

Office 2007 Upgrade won't recognise previous version

I am having a desktop running with Office 2003 Professional since long time. Yesterday I thought to upgrade the same to Office 2007 and hence bought Off2007 Professional upgrade version. When I run the upgrade setup, it stucks between with an error message saying “Setup failed to locate a valid qualifying product on your machine”.

I thought it is asking about Office 2003 hence I insert Off 2003 CD but yet the same result. Tried running the process various time but yet not succeeded. Somebody please help me fixing it.

Re: Office 2007 Upgrade won't recognise previous version

Try out the following steps:
    • Insert your Office 2007 CD and start Setup.
    • Type the product key in the Product Key boxes under User Information dialog box, and click OK.
    • Now check CD Key dialog box in the Product Compliance, and click OK.
    • Now go to the drive list and click the CD drive or DVD drive that contains the 2007 Office CD in the Product Compliance Check dialog box.
    • Remove the 2007 Office CD from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. Then, insert the first CD from one of the qualifying products that are listed on the following Microsoft Web page:http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/oo...xerrorcode=404
    • Remember that it may take few seconds or minutes to recognize the installation CD. So don’t panic and let it do.
    • In the Product Compliance Check dialog box, click OK.
    • When the 2007 Microsoft Software License Terms appear, remove the CD for the earlier version of Office from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, and then insert the 2007 Office CD.
    • Click to select the I accept the terms of the License Agreement check box after you read the license terms, and then click Next.
    • Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install 2007 Office.

Re: Office 2007 Upgrade won't recognise previous version

Thanks for the help Mauricio but when I run the Office Pro 2007 CD, it prompts me with a window asking for Product key, well I enter the keys and as soon as I click ok it simply asks me to locate the earlier version of Microsoft Office. At this stage I put Office 2003 CD in the dvd drive, pint the setup to the same and click continue, but still it says me that “I don't have a qualifying upgradeable product”

Furthermore I also tried this with CDs for Office 2000 Professional, full version, Office Visio Professional 2007, Office Project Standard 2007, Microsoft Works 2000 and with all these I get the same result. What should I do now ?

I see yours was posted in February, and here I am in August with precisely the same problem, exactly as you described it - and still no solution ! I wonder if Carey was using a beta version ?

Have you been able to solve this somehow else ?

Ken-Rock