Thread: Normal.dotm corrupt

Normal.dotm corrupt

From last couple of days whenever I open MS Word 2007 it gives me a message saying something like my normal dot template has been changed do I want to open a new one. After this when Word opens It won’t allow me to do anything. I even cannot click anywhere on the document.

In order to fix this I tried repairing Office but that dint helped. Finally I re-installed but that too dint helped, still getting the same error. Please help.

Re: Normal.dotm corrupt

I think deleting corrupted files should be deleted everytime, it really helps. So close every opened programs. Open Windows Explorer, go to organize and make ‘Show Hidden files’. Now search the entire computer for the file “normal.docm” and delete each and every instances you find. Don’t worry, next time when you open Word, it will be recreated again (uncorrupted). It should work. Try out and reply with results.

Thanks for the help and suggestion Landon. As per the instructions I searched and found two files with that named. Deleted both, rebooted the computer and Opened Word. At the launch it gave me a message saying “word has save a copy of Normal.dotm, would you like to load it?” I clicked on NO and again got the same problem as earlier.

I searched for the file again and got the same, again deleted and restarted the system. But still getting the same problem on Word launch. What now ?

I managed to find out something new. First I copied normal.dotm file from one of my computer and pasted the same in this system but my Word don’t recognizes it and use the same corrupted one.

Secondly what I found is when I open Word from its main source (program files\ microsoft office\office12\winword.exe) it opens properly and work normal without any problem. I guess by doing this its recognizes the proper dotm file instead of the corrupted one. But the only problem is what about the saved doc files, I mean I cannot double click to open them because they will use the corrupted normal.dotm