Thread: How to get rid off ctfmon.exe service?

How to get rid off ctfmon.exe service?

I am trying to find out what part of the microsoft offcie is the file ctfmon.exe related to? I think that it is running as a service and giving to much of trouble in my pc. Therefore I want to get rid of this ctfmon.exe service as soon as possible. I tried looking up on the net to find out some solutions to it but there are nothing mentioned about it. Can anyone try to find out the answer that i am looking for.

Thanks

Re: How to get rid off ctfmon.exe service?

The process ctfmon.exe, whose full name is the User Input Process Services, is a Windows NT/2000/XP generic process used to manage text input alternatives such as software voice recognition (Speech recognition), the handwriting recognition software, Braille keyboards or alternative keyboard.

File corresponding to this process is normally located in the directory "%SystemRoot%\system32\ctfmon.exe" (%systemroot% is usually C:\WINDOWS).

The process Ctfmon is by no means a virus or worm or Trojan horse or spyware or a AdWare. It is a system process that can be stopped.

Ctfmon.exe activates the text Input Processor (TIP, Text Input Processor). If you want to disable it then follow the below suggestions:

1. Close all Office programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click on Add or Remove Programs.
    4. In the Currently installed programs list, click "Microsoft Office product" where "Microsoft Office product" is the name of the specific Office product that is being used. If you are using a standalone version of an Office program, click on it to select it in the list. Click Change.
    5. In the dialog Maintenance Mode Options, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. Dialog box appears to choose installation options for all Office applications and tools.
    6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.
    7. Click on the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.
    8. Click Update.

I think that there might be atleast 2 CTFMON which is causing the issue. One of them is a keylogger or a trojan and the other one is the legitimate one from Microsoft. The virus ones can be found outside the folder \Windows\System32. So scan the same file with any antivirus system if you have installed in your pc which is normally the problem. But note that when you will remove the Microsoft's CTFMon.exe utility, then some functionallity in Windows might get also removed which will effect other applications or settings. Normally, the CTFMON of microsoft is used to handle keyboards and languages for Windows Text Services, etc.

If you have installed multiple Office XP products, such as Office XP Professional and Access 2003, you must repeat the steps given above by for each.

However, there are also Services that Remove Alternative User Input Text Services, which are as follows:

1. Click Start, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Regional Options, Language, Date and Time, and then click Regional and Language Options. Languages ​​tab, click Details.
    3. On Installed Services, select each input item from the list and then click Remove to remove it. You need to remove the items one by one, leaving only the language used by Default.

Alternative way is to run msconfig and go to the Startup section, and disable ctfmon.exe

If all else fails, run Regsvr32 /U for files Msctf.dll and Msimtf.dll:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Run dialog box, type the following command:
    Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll
    3. Click OK.
    4. Repeat for Msctf.dll (Regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll)