Thread: Office 2007 SP1 - unable to install

Office 2007 SP1 - unable to install

I am having Windows Vista with Office 2007 installed on my computer. When I am trying to update the service pack 1 for office, I am getting the following erros in the Event Log when installing with the help of Microsoft Update:

Product: Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - Update '2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)' could not be installed. Error code 1603.
    Additional information is available in the log file e:\tmp\MSI963d8.LOG.

I am also getting error 78F within the interface of Microsoft Update. And If I try to install it manually by extracting it from the MSP then I get other errors:

Product: Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - Error 1935.During installation component assembly {46174A62-FAFE-4BD6-9662-F9A9F588F034} error occured.
    HRESULT: 0x80131047.
    Assembly inteface: IAssemblyCacheItem,
    function: Commit

Is there anyone who is having some solutions for this particual error messages? Thanks

It seems to me like a bad install for the office 2007, so what you can do is simply back up all the office files and then remove it completely and reinstall it after a clean boot of the system. You could even try to check the office 2007 installation in Add or Remove Programs and selecting office 2007 and then clickin on chage and choose to repair it. If the repair doesnt finish properly, then use the office 2007 installation disk to repair it, but if still it doesnt work then uninstall it by using the same method described here in the first sentence. After that try to install the office 2007 service pack 1 update in your pc.

If the above solution doesnt work for you then try to install the updated version of Windows Installer in your system. You might get an error message saying that "2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) failed to install" incase if you dont have Windows Installed 3.1 that is required by the patch deployment for the office 2007. Download the latest version from this link and install it in your pc. After that check all the entries related to Microsoft .NET Framework and remove everything. Then download the .NET Framework 2.0 from this link and install it in your pc. Test the update again and see what happens.

Also, one more thing that you need to know is that you should have enough free disk space on the Windows drive. The Service pack 1 for Office 2007 requires normally 1.1 gb of free space to be installed an therefore you should atleast have 2gb space left over in your windows partitioned drive. Otherwise the installation will start for sure, but will give same errors that you are getting.

I was able to fix this problem that i was getting from so many days. The problem seems to be related to the trusted installer which is a new vista service and it is the only thing that can install to some kind of protected registry keys. What i did was, I repaired the keys from the admin and then stopped and restored a backup because i thought it was a wrong way to go for. I then removed the office version completely and then reinstall it and Service pack 1 started installing perfectly in the very first time. So it seems the problem is related to either a bad install or a bad hotfix at the same time. This simple uninstall and reinstall has done the trick, and works fine too, never expected though.