Thread: Can't install my new Office 2007 Professional Upgrade

Can't install my new Office 2007 Professional Upgrade

I am having a Windows XP based desktop computer bought just about 4 months ago. Earlier it was running with Office 2007 Trail, later I removed that and installed Office 2000 Premium and Office Works Suite 2006. Now am trying to install Office Professional 2007 upgrade but not getting it done successfully.

Whenever I start the installation, it goes fine upto the stage where I need to enter the Product key. When I enter the keys, it shows me the Green mark and gets stuck there for about 90 seconds and then quits saying me:

"Microsoft Office Professional 2007 encountered an error during setup"

Tried installing again and again but yet keep getting the same problem. I thought to get some help from web and I tried everything I found there. Here are the things I did: Went to services and stopped every service related to Office 2007, removed everything related to Office suite from Add and Remove, removed Office .msi files from the Installer, deleted temporary files, even deleted from the MSOCache\All Users folder, I even removed the Office 12 and source Engine files or references from:
    • %CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared
    • %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office
    • %appdata%\microsoft\templates
    • %appdata%\microsoft\document building blocks\language_id
    • %AllUsersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data

But the result is yet the same. Any help Please ?

Re: Can't install my new Office 2007 Professional Upgrade

Did you uninstalled the Trial version completely from the system before installing the Professional 2007 Upgrade? By telling ‘completely” I mean, there should be no files left of that version on your system. You should remove it using Windows Installer Cleanup tool. Later run disk cleanup on program files and restart the computer. Now try installing the same. Hopefully you wont be getting any error anymore.

Thanks a lot buddy, I think that was the actually cause of the problem because when I did some more R&D, and I found that while installing Office 2007 there was some problem and due to the same a file was created on my system with name rgstrtn.lck. I took help of KB 927153 and removed the same. Now there was no problem in Office Professional 2007 installation. Thanks BTW.

Hey guys, me too looking for some similar help. I was using Office Student and Teacher 2007 earlier on my Vista laptop. Recently upgraded it to Office professional 2007. There was no problem during the upgrade but after the installation when I tried opening any office application I found that my office was still with Student And teacher and not upgraded to Professional. It also gives me the following error while opening the programs:

“Office application version does not match”

I tried BCM Fix as well as few others that I found on web but none of them worked for me. Even tried calling Microsoft support but that wasn’t helpful too. Any advice please ?

The only thing I can suggest you is remove the Office totally from the system (no matter its professional or Student teacher.) Better use Installer Cleanup tool for doing the same and start installation from scratch again. Am sure earlier office version is conflicting with the new one.

Solution-

Thanks for the help CoYoTeA, meanwhile I was with Microsoft guys on phone for about an hour, and they helped me to fix it finally. Here are the things I needed to do.

First of all we need to got Control panel, click programs and features. Select old office version and click Change. Under Add and Remove features select any office program from the list of programs and select "not available" and continue. Once done restart the system. We need to do this for every office programs from older version. When system boots again, got to Control Panel, program and features and here select the upgrade version and click "run on my computer" then restart.

Now again when the system boots completely, open this url http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935569, download and install the Microsoft Fix It. Run and restart the system again. That’s it. Now the problem should be fixed.