Thread: Running Office XP and Office 2007

Running Office XP and Office 2007 on same pc

I am looking for some option by which I can run Office XP and Office 2007 on a single pc together. But it looks like impossible. I am very use to Office XP. Now shifted to a new system which has Office 2007. It is somehow a bit complicated t learn it soon. I can use Office XP for my day today task and then open the same in Office 2007 and modify it. What I want that when I install both I want my files to open by default in Office XP instead of Office 2007. I had run the setup. When I tried to install Office XP, it freezes and does not move ahead.

Re: Running Office XP and Office 2007

No I do not think it might work. I am doubtful about the same. But you can still try the setup. It is quiet possible to use Office 2003 and Office 2007 together. Not sure about Office XP. There can be some kind of compatibility issue among files. But still you can test and post your views here. It would be helpful for others.

Try to work with custom installation. Remove Office 2007 and then re-install it. While doing that choose Custom option and choose the things that you want only. Like do not add Word or Excel or PowerPoint. You can choose them on Office XP setup. In this way you can have two different Office edition on your system and there would not be any issue with compatibility.

I think you can use both edition without any issue. When you run the setup they place their files in different folders. So it should be working well. Like for Office XP it uses Office 10 folder and in Office 2007 it uses Office 12 folder located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office. The setup is freezing due to some other issue. Like it can be due to improper installation files.

It is possible to use more than one version of Office on a single system. All it is necessary to ensure that all settings must match properly. There is one safer way of working with this. Using Virtualization technology. By this you can install multiple OS on single computer. You can then use it for a while and end up. You just need to download Virtual PC and install it on your system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218861

It is not complicated to configure multiple edition of Microsoft Office on a single computer. For that you need to ensure one thing. That you start with the oldest edition first. Do not jumble this up or else all applications can be unstable. First run the setup of oldest application and then the newest. In your case it is Office XP. Install this first and then install Office 2007. That would be helpful to you in many ways. You said that your system has Office 2007 installed before. You need to remove that.

I found a informative link on Microsoft that has answer for you. Along with installation there are number of things you need to do. You will have to configure the installation and then add some additional objects. It is very important that all the registry settings must be configured properly or else there can be crash issue.

How to run multiple versions of Office on one computer

There issue while running multiple version of Office. That lies with configuration settings that collide with each other internally. There are possibility that your system might get confused and face more problem. You have to follow the repair setup a number of time to get rid of the same. There are some registry tweaks that can help you but I will not recommend the same.

Hy to all...

I recently installed botn office 2003 and 2007 and got the same problems you described.
    I too, tried the NoReReg and the NoRepairNeeded (possible) solutions and they worked fine, except Access.
    The best way that I found to escape form those long lasting and permanently reappearing configuring windows is this:
    I started Access 2007 to be my default app.
    then whenewer I start it there is no reconfiguring needed. :)
    Then when I start Access 2003 (it wants to reconfigure, but) when I hit the Esc button it just goes away and the Access 2003 app. starts without having to wait those extra seconds.
    As I stated earlier Access 2007 is my default app.

I hope it`ll work for you as well if you don`t allready use it yourself :)

bye all

As I stated earlier Access 2007 is my default app.

In my case I'm using Access 2000 and Access 2007.

How do you make Access 2007 the default App?

Details please

Thanks, John