Thread: Office 2007: Setup has encountered a problem during install

Office 2007: Setup has encountered a problem during install

I have a Dell Optiplex GX520 with 1gig of RAM and 100gig of free disk space. The PC has Windows XP Professional and Office 2003 Professional (all service patched and upto date). I also had Visio 2007 beta running.

I have recently purchased Dell Optiplex GX250 with 2 GB Ram and 100 GB of free Hard Disk. I have installed my Windows XP Profession on my system along with Office 2003 Professional, My system is up to date with the all the patches. I have also installed Visio 2007 beta on my machine. Now the problem I am facing with my system is that when I am trying to install Office 2007, I was told to uninstall visio 2007, which I did. Even I have kept my existing version of office 2003. During the installation I din't had any activation code in my hand, but I do now. Every time whenever I start Office 2007 application or whenever I try to activate office I receive a error message "the setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review the log files for further information."

I can use the application but I cannot activate the application looks wierd. I have also checked in my event viewer under all options, but there is nothing to go with this error message. I cannot see any log files created by the system under C:\program files\Microsoft office (or its sub directories). Even I tried running diagnostics which was told to me, it had fixed the setup problem but not the problem which I am facing. Still I am getting the same error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Office 2007: Setup has encountered a problem during install

The error probably occurs if there is some another office suite or Trail is installed. Did you removed your office 2003 completely from the system before installing Office 2007 ? if not that is cause of this error. you must download Windows Installer Cleanup utility and delete and and every entry you see related to office. once done, better run disk cleanup, restart the computer and than try installing Office 2007. Hope fully you wont be getting any problem again.

For more help on the same, check out these discussions on the same problem:
    The setup controller has encountered a problem during install
    Setup controller has encountered a problem during install...
    office 2007 encountered an error during setup