Thread: A required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found

a required installation file sku011.cab could not be found

I am running Office 2003 since past two years on this Windows XP desktop. I never had this problem in this period but now suddenly don’t know what went wrong whenever I try to launch Ms Excel, it gives me error something saying about “Missing sku011.cab” file. I tried repairing it with Installation CD but that dint worked for me.

I don’t want to re-install because I’m afraid of losing my data. Is there any working solution for this? Please let me know.

Re: a required installation file sku011.cab could not be found

Am not sure whether it will work but you can give it a try atleast. Go to start, click RUN, type ‘regedit’, press Enter. Now navigate to the following location:
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> Software>Microsoft>Office>11.0>Delivery.

Here you will find a directory named something like this 90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9. (In my case it was like this). It is actually your DownloadCode. Click on the same and now on the right side you will get key named CDCache. Just double click the same and set its value to 0. Reboot the system and you are done.

For more info on sku011.cab missing error, check this:
    Missing SKU011.cab
    Installation file, SKU011.CAB missing?

A required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found

It is my Windows XP desktop with Office Professional 2003 Installed. Everything was working fine since last few years (installed Office 2 years ago). Usually I don’t make any changes to my system unnecessarily. Last week I just upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 and since then whenever I try to open any Office program, it come up with the following error message:

"A required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found."

I tried to fix it by searching the file on my CD but dint found it anywhere. I don’t know what I should do. Whether uninstalling IE7 will fix this? Any alternate solution? Please help.

Re: A required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found

First of all I don’t think IE 7 is anyhow concerned with this problem. As far as I know the file Sku112.cab is an installation file for Office 2003 Standard Retail version. Were you having Office 2003 installed on your PC earlier and your installed office 2007 without removing earlier version completely? If yes, that could be the problem. Anyway, first just search your computer by typing ‘SKU*.*’ in the search field and see what you are getting ? Also check in your Add and remove Programs if Office 2003 is listed somewhere.

Thanks for the help Zachary. I think you caught up with something important. Yes, there are two things listed in my Add and remove program, First is the one am using Office Professional 2003 and the another is Office Standard 2003. Let me tell you that when I bought this system three tears ago, it came with Office Trail Standard Edition and later I installed Professional Edition. But I don’t think this could be the problem as it was working fine from past so many years and the problem started only last week after upgrading to IE 7.

As you said to search sku*.*, I get four entries related to this search and all on my CD. Those are as follows:
    SKU026.CAB
    SKU0A4.CAB
    SKU111.CAB
    SKU111.XML

What to do now ?

As I said earlier, Sku112.cab is an installation file for Office 2003 Standard Retail version, I guess the system is now searching for the file that is related to Standard edition, that actually you don’t use. Hence I would suggest you to remove it from your system completely. Note: to uninstall it Completely you will need this Microsoft uninstaller tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

Once remove Standard Edition, restart the PC, insert your Office Professional CD in the CD/DVD drive and try to repair your existing Office. If it dint worked, simply uninstall Professional as well, run Disk Cleanup and reinstall Office Professional 2003 again. This time it should work fine as before.

Thank you very much friend. Fortunately I dint required to remove both Offices and install one back. I juest removed the Office Standard edition using the tool, restarted and now my office working fine. I dint even required to repair it. Help appreciated.