Thread: The setup controller has encountered a problem during install

The setup controller has encountered a problem during install

My dad is having a Windows XP SP3 laptop where I recently reinstalled Office 2007 Home and Student. There was no problem during the installation but when I open Excel word or any other office program it shows an error stating

"The setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review the log files for further information on the error."

I don’t have any idea about this error and which log it is talking about. But still I tried to repair Office that dint helped. I even tried running the Diagnostic tool but that too went useless. Any help for fixing this ?

Re: The setup controller has encountered a problem during install

Well you believe there was no problem during installation but your system faced some problem during installation and hence this error occurs. Though I did some search on web and found that the only solution for this is to uninstall Office completely from the system and than re-install it back. Make sure to remove Office completely (no registry keys should be left on the system), for help check this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Re: The setup controller has encountered a problem during install

Ohh yeah, I think you are right buddy. I was having a Trail version already installed on this system and I installed Home and Student as well without removing the Trail version. I guess that is creating the problem. I came to know about this after reading the term “uninstall completely”. I’ll remove and re-install it again later today. Thanks BTW.