Thread: Office 2003 removal or repair

Office 2003 removal or repair

I bought a laptop from one of my friends about 2 years ago. It was working fine without any issues so far but suddenly dint know what went wrong, now whenever I try to access excel or word it prompts me with an error saying mainsp2ff.msp is missing, sometimes it says olkintlff.msp is missing and sometimes infopath.msp. I tried to fix first two missing files anyhow but unable to fix the third one, that is infopath.msp.

In order to fix this I order Microsoft Hotfix 920914 but I doubt my system can give such more msp files missing errors in future. Hence I need some help from you all. Though there is no problem in re-installing the office again but am concerned of 2 things: First I should not lose by Outlook data and Second, will it really fix these problems ?

Re: Office 2003 removal or repair

If you want to know the reason why these problems appears, let me tell you that branded companies such Dell use some different disk to load OEM programs on your system. These disks are not the one you get with your OEM laptop or desktop. If you uses these CDs for repairing the products, you may still get the same error or missing files.

Hence the only way to fix such problems is to uninstall this office and re-install it again from scratch. As far as your Outlook is concerned you can take backup of the same as pst and restore it later again. But before you install office make sure to remove office completely from your system. For the same you can use Windows Install Clean Up Utility and run Disk CleanUp wizard. Later perform Clean Office 2003 installation.

Re: Office 2003 removal or repair

Thanks for your valuable help buddy, that windows installer utility solved the problem! As per your instructions I removed it using tool, cleaned my registries and all and reinstalled. Now everything works fine.