Thread: Office 2003 installer keeps on appearing in limited account

Office 2003 installer keeps on appearing in limited account

I have Microsoft Office 2003. I had installed this and the setup has gone well. I have one more account which is used by my family. It is a limited account with no password. When someone open Word or Excel in that account, I keep on getting a installation setup on the screen. The popup keep on appearing every time when I launch Word. While in the admin account this does not appear. I checked in the logs and found some errors. It was related to handwriting recognition. I do not have any kind of device in my system.

Whenever you launch Office it tries to configure certain files. Without them it will not work. I am too confused about this office behavior. And this is common in limited account only. There can be certain files which are wiped out when you logout. This kind of issues are not common in admin account. Try to run a repair setup that will help you. You use Office DVD for the same. The repair setup allows you to configure the files and fix those which are corrupt.

re: Office 2003 installer keeps on appearing in limited account

The issue is due to corrupt user account settings. When you create a account it generates some set of setting which is applied everytime when that account is used. But if that user profile if corrupted then you get that kind of issue. Check in event log and look for more errors. You will be able to locate a file associated with the error. Repair setup is the quick solution that you can retry. Just to test create one more account and then run office in it.

My desktop has the same issue. I have around 4 accounts in the system. This problem appear only in one while other are working fine. After reading the above post I am quiet sure that this is due to some kind of corrupt user profile in the system. I will re-install Office and will check back. I hope I can locate some solution on the same.

re: Office 2003 installer keeps on appearing in limited account

Please follow my post on the "office 2007 unusable in limited accout" thread
    Hello y'all,

I have been dealing with this issue for three months and I have not given it any thought until I had to rebuild my machine to give it to someone else. following on everyone's leads here, it is definately access rights permissions on certain registry folders for the Administrators groups as well as the system account. I did a search for 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' problem that appeared in the application logs and this is the result. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911682

Problem description:
    --------
    Event ID: 1001
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Description:
    Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'WORDFILES'
    failed during request for component '{8E46FEFA-D973-6294-B305-E968CEDFFCB9}'Event ID: 1015
    Description:
    Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80004001Event ID: 1004
    Description:
    Detection of product '{90120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature
    'ProductFiles', component '{66CD2C91-2A15-4DA4-BBD2-5EC1075F3C0E}' failed. The
    resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' does not exist.Event ID: 1000
    Description:
    No installer is running when launching the applications
    -----------------

Solution:

Note You can perform this procedure on a Terminal Server console or on the local computer, depending on the location on which the Office program is installed
    Start a Terminal Server client session, and then log on as a user.

Note If you have installed the Office product on the local computer, go to step 2.
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer
    On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
    In the permissions for Installer dialog box, click Administrators in the Group or user names list, and then make sure that the Full Control permission is set for the Administrators group. If this permission is not set, click to select the Full Control check box under Allow.
    Click OK.
    Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the SYSTEM group.
    Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the Everyone group. Verify that only the Read permission is set for the Everyone group. If this permission is not set, click to select the Read check box under Allow.
    Repeat steps 4 through 8 for the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\Compo
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes
    Clear the Application log, start the Office program, and then see whether you receive the event IDs that are mentioned in the “Symptoms” section.
    If you still receive event ID 1004, delete the UsrClass.dat and UsrClass.dat.log files for every user on the terminal server or on the local computer. To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
    In the left pane, locate and then click the following folder:
    Drive:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
    NoteDrive represents the drive letter for the hard disk drive partition on which Windows is installed.

This Windows folder is in a hidden folder. To view the Windows folder, you must configure the folder settings to display hidden files and folders. If you cannot locate the Windows folder, verify that the folder settings on the computer are configured to display hidden files and folders. To do this, follow these steps:
    On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
    Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
    Verify that the Windows folder is now available.
    In the right pane, right-click UsrClass.dat, and then click Delete.
    Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the file deletion.
    Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the UsrClass.dat.log file.
    Start the Office program, and then verify that the event IDs that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section are not logged in Application log.
    Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
    Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
    Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003
    Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
    Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
    Microsoft Office XP Professional
    Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
    Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
    Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition for Students and Teachers
    Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
    Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition