Thread: Office 2007 beta 2 Setup Error

Office 2007 beta 2 Setup Error

I have been trying to install the office 2007 beta 2 on my pc and everytime it is giving me error that says "Error 1706 - Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network or CD-Rom drive". I dont understand what this problem is related to but if anyone knows the answer for it, then please let me know asap. Thanks.

I have this same issue as well. When i was trying to install, it I was not even able to get to the installation screen where it says that we need to enter some license key or something. I was getting this problem because I reallocated the Temp folder to some different partition in the hard drive. But when i chaged the same to standard directory in the drive then it started to install normally. But soon after that I used to get the same error. Can anyone please help us out.

Have you tried running the Setup by selecting the advanced option and then installing only one product and does it install? It might let you to get something installed but that totally depends on the DLL files. Also one of my friend was having a Desktop Search application which he uninstalled because it was crashing and then he also installed some update, which might be a beta version that he cant remember, and then the installation worked properly for him. He then chose to uninstall any previous versions of Office which had been left intact on his computer and this solution did work for him.

This same issue was happening on my pc as well. When i checked my pc, I was having Outlook 2003 and office xp installed and I tried many things to uninstall all of them from my pc or even set not to do any kind of customization, but it didnt work. I also tried to manually install stuff by going into the installation folder but it was not really successful. In the end, I thought why not just re-download the whole pacakage and installed the same and guess what it really worked for me this time. So it seems to me that the previous download was a bad one which was causing the possibilites of giving such error.

You should first download the executable file which might be called as OPPLUS-EN.EXE which is of 440MB in the root of C drive. After that create a new folder in the same root of C drive called Office2007. Now you have to run the following command from the Command Prompt or CMD: C:\OPPLUS-EN.EXE /extract:c:\Office2007. It will start to extract all the files properly into the C:\Office2007. Note that, incase you use winzip or winrar to extract the file on your system by just right clicking on them and using the method to Extract here then the files will not be properly extracted and the sub-folders will not be created properly, which is why people who have tried it, are getting the error.

You can then try to run the office setup.exe file and if you still get the error 1706 then you can use the admin option on the setup.exe file in C:\Office2007 folder to install it or the following command: C:\Office2007\setup .exe /admin. You will get to the office customization tool where you need to create a new Setup customization file. After this, you will get option to install it in any location you want, or you want to uninstall any revious versions, etc. After you have choosen the option, just save the file like mysetup.msp and quit the tool after saving it. Now try to run the same mysetup.msp file and it will start the office installation properly. Hope that this helps.