| || |
Join Date: Aug 2005
Fix for all office icons not showing up in windows 7
I was facing this problem since years time to time where Office icons disappear or show up as no assigned icon on Windows 7 based systems. Whenever we click them it asks to choose program for opening them. So I did long researches on this and finally came through a sure shot working solution. Hence I thought to post it here so that other users facing the same could be helped and prevent their important time to waste on searching here and there.
- First of all you will need to download Icon Extractor tool.
- Now suppose the WORD icon is having problem, go to program files, open Office installation folder, open WORD folder and select winword.exe.
- Copy the location, it should be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 \WINWORD.exe
- Launch Icon Extractor tool and paste the location in the box on the top and click on search button.
- Now select the default icon and take note of the order it appears in the window.
- Now use the location of winword.exe we copied above and mention the icon number next to it.
For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.exe,2.
- Copy the above location with number, and open Registry editor by Typing RegEdit in the RUN Command.
- Now navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ .abc \ UserChoice
- Here in the right pane you will see a file named Progid . Notedown its value data and follow these steps.