Thread: Setup cannot continue because a required file is either corrupted

Setup cannot continue because a required file is either corrupted

Need some urgent help from you all. One of buddy bought a new HP desktop computer that came pre-loaded with Windows XP Pro and Office 2007 Pro. System is working fine but I found that the Office loaded is a trial activated version. Though I have an Unused Office Pro 2007 disk with Activation keys, I tried to activate the pre-loaded trial office with the keys I have but it ended up with message saying "The key is incorrect. Verify that you have the correct key, and then retype it."

As the process was unsuccessful I tried installing my genuine copy with activation keys over the pre-loaded office without removing it from the system. This time again the installation quit with different error message. It was “Setup cannot continue because a required file is ether corrupt or missing. Run setup again from the original source disk or download version.” I thought my disk is faulty hence getting the error, I got another Office Pro 2007 disk that is already running on my another laptop successfully and tried installing over the trial office but again the same error telling me to Run the setup from original source disk.

Now in order to fix it, I simply this entire computer, loaded Windows XP and activated with the keys provided behind the system. Now tried to install the Office 2007 Pro disk full version on a newly installed computer but yet the same result, “run the setup with original source disk”. Finally what I did was tried installing the same Trial version of Office 2007 pro and activated trial, guess what, this installation went fine without any problem but it is not ready to install the full version of Office. This was surprising.

Can somebody let me know why it is behaving weird and how can be fixed ?

Re: Setup cannot continue because a required file is either corrupted

I suspect two things here, first did you brought the original Office pro disk from Microsoft or you bought it from somewhere else ? If it is bought from somewhere else, you might have got cheated and you should talk to them. If it is from Microsoft, put a mail to them and you will be get replacement CD if it is faulty. Another thing I suspect is your existing trail office would be Home and Student Edition because most of vendors sell their systems with this version itself and hence the product keys you have for Office Pro 2007 is not working on the same.