Thread: Spell Check not working

Spell Check not working

It is Office 2007 running on Vista Ultimate laptop. I just need to applications from this entire office package and that is MS Word and Outlook. I installed this office just 2 days ago, there was no problem with the installation. Now the problem am facing with these two is they are not correcting the misspelled words automatically even though I press F7. Surprisingly, while pressing F7, instead of correcting those words, it says that all my words are correct. Lol.

Even when I write some wrong word intentionally, for example ‘awsdgfejgh’ it says the word is correct. I checked all proofing options and other settings, all are correct. Grammar Check is working properly. Can anyone help me with this ?

Fortunately I was managed to fix the same problem with Outlook (don’t have any idea about MS Word) couple of months ago. Someone told me to try out this:

Close all Office Applications and open Command Prompt as an Administrator.
    Type this script and press Enter;
    Reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override" /f

That’s it. Once you get the message “Completed”, restart Outlook and it will work properly.

In my case, this what helped me to fix the proofing problems of misspelled words in Outlook;

Go to Start, Click RUN, type REGEDIT and hit Enter.
    navigate to the following location
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0

Now rename the “1.0″ to “zz1.0″. Restart the computer and you are done.

One of my friends was facing this problem and after lots of workaround we were finally able to fix it. I don’t know whether it will work but you can give it a try.

• Open Outlook and click on Help. There will be some option like ‘Disabled Items’ (Sorry am not remembering it properly coz tried this long before.)
    • When you enter in ‘Disabled item’ you will find some option named “spell-en’ or something similar to this.
    • You just need to Enable it.

This is what we did in our case and since then outlook was able to correct all misspelled words.

Re: Spell Check not working

Thank you for these ideas. I too tried every one of these fixes - and about 20 other ideas, including deleting the signature, 'repairing' Outlook, checking all the spelling/proofing/language settings, checking the settings in Word, checking the registry keys - none worked.

I was just about to attempt to reinstall Outlook when I thought I would try something, and to my astonishment, it worked, so it might work for you. I noticed that, when logged in as administrator on my user's computer, the Outlook spell checker would behave perfectly, yet for the user, it just would not work. (It worked on Word ok for her, just not Outlook).

After checking the registry a bunch of times before, I thought I would compare the settings in the administrator account to those of my user. To cut a long story short, I found two keys on the account that did *not* work, that were simply not present in the administrator profile - where it *did* work. I copied down the details and then deleted the keys, started up Outlook and Hey Presto - Outlook started spelling again. I could barely believe it. I was going on a hunch.

Anyway, here's what I changed. In the following folder:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0

There was a sub folder called "Office" containing two keys as follows:
    OutlookSpellingOptions Reg_DWORD (value = 5)
    WordSpellingOptions Reg_DWORD (value = 7)

This "Office" folder hadn't appeared in the registry on the administrator account, so after noting down these details I deleted this "office" folder completely. When I restarted Outlook, the spelling worked. I don't know how these files got there. All I know is that this worked for me. Good luck!

*Always back up your registry before tinkering - and do so with care!*