Thread: Windows installer keeps starting up

Windows installer keeps starting up

Yesterday I installed Office Enterprises 2007 on my Vista 32bit. Installation went smoothly without any problem but when I try opening any office program if directly starts the Office installer and runs for about 4 minutes. This happens every time I open any program whether it use to be word, excel, outlook or anything. I tried repairing office that dint helped, I tried re-installing it again but yet getting the same problem.

Somewhere I found that re-installing Vista will fix this problem. That is just a useless and drastic solution. Can someone please advise me better fix?

Re: Windows installer keeps starting up

Are you logged in as Admin ? because this problem usually occurs for standard users. If you are the admin and facing this problem then simply right click any office program shortcut or directly its .exe from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12, select properties, go to compatibility tab and mark is “Run as administrator”. Also accept the EULA and restart the computer. That’s it. If you still face any problem than check out this KB for more help: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884202

Thanks for the suggestion Javalr but that dint worked for me as I wasn’t prompted for accepting EULA. Also I dint get any option regarding the same. But I don’t think that my problem is license oriented. Let me explain the problem again. As soon as I open MS Word (for example), it first splits a window for a second, then another window comes up with a message “Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007”. It remains on the screen for about 3 to 4 minutes and disappears. After this my Word opens.

The problem can fixed simply by uninstalling Office using Windows Installer CleanUp Tool and reinstalling again. See this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218 Though it is a bit long process that is the only working solution. You just need to ensure that office is removed completely from the system. By term completely I mean there should be no files or registry keys left on your system. Later restart the computer and install Office again. You won’t be getting the error any more.

For more help on this, you can also check these discussions:
    "Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office 2007" Message
    please wait while windows configures microsoft office professional plus 2010

Re: Windows installer keeps starting up

Change the shortcuts. The ones the installer puts into Start| Programs are all bad and can't be manipulated. Create your own shortcuts to replace them (drag and drop from the icons for the actual files). This solved the problem for me, except that I can't open a document without first opening the program; if I try to open the document, the configuration starts. Driving me nuts...

RE: Windows installer keeps starting up

Did you guys tried this:

Go to the following Location and setup.exe to setup.exe.old.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoftshared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller

Now go to the following location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

And create a new shortcut for office Programs. NOTE not to use any shortcut listed under start menu.