Thread: Can't install Office 2007 SP2

Can't install Office 2007 SP2

At present I’m having using Office 2007. Most of my systems are already updated to Service pack 2, this was the last and hence thought upgrade this too. Hence I downloaded the 290 MB manual update of Off2007 SP2 and tried running the same. But fails with an error stating “The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database.”

After this i found that my few office applications started behaving weird hence I thought to re-install them again without uninstalling with the original disk I bought earlier. Surprisingly the installation as well failed with a huge error message, as follows:

“Setup did not complete successfully. We are sorry for the inconvenience. An error occurred [sic] during the installation,
    and setup was unable to complete. Please tell Microsoft about the problem.”

Can anyone suggest me what to do now as I am not willing to remove my office because if it fails to install again, I’ll be in huge problem. Also how can I update it to SP2 ?

I was having the same problem long back ago and fixed it by running Office Diagnostics. Did you tried running the same ? If not run the Office Diagnostics from the dvd or any Office component or better do it from outlook help. It should work. Also you should try running windows update and see if you get the SP2 update over there. That could be the best possible way to update office.

And why are you afraid of re-installing ? Just make sure you remove the office completely from the system, run Disk Cleanup, restart the computer and try to re-install. It will go smoothly. Make sure you have a valid office 2007 disk because it will ask you for the license code. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us

RE: Can't install Office 2007 SP2

Thanks for the help buddy but if I re-install the Office again, what about my Data ? though I backup my entire windows weekly, will it be able to restore my outlook Data after re-installation ?

RE: Can't install Office 2007 SP2

First of all you must know that windows backup and office backup are different thing. If you will restore you windows backup after reinstalling Office, that will be of no use because it will restore the same office again. Hence, youi should backup your Outlook separately. You can check these threads for the same Back up Outlook e-mail messages or How do I access my pst files from backup in Outlook 2007?