Thread: how do i stop office 2007 configuring startup

how do i stop office 2007 configuring startup

I had installed Microsoft Office 2007 on two computer. There was no issue at all at the time of installation. But somehow I found that whenever I start Microsoft Office 2007, it starts configuring itself from scratch. It takes quiet a long time to load up. It happens everytime when I launch office applications. How can I completely stop this. Thanks.

Have you tried to repair it. a few ppl asked me to help them out with access. So i installed access and got the fix for you. I'm still trying to get this to work. I've run the acl in. I have an MS Access application that uses MS Access 2003 RT but no other components of MS Access 2003. I have MS Access 2007 installed too because it is the corporate office system. When I the App and run MS Access 2007, I get configuration dialog from the later, which I have to let finish. The next time I run the App, it too runs a config dialog. Any ideas.

The problem lies with registry errors. There are two ways to fix the issue. First run a proper repair setup through installation disc. And if that does not work then you have to ensure that there are all files installed properly. The first one is installing SubinAcl. This lies in Program Files/Windows Resource Kits/Tools.

Re: how do i stop office 2007 configuring startup

I followed your instructions to look at the events. The top event is

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 11728
    Date: 18/12/2008
    Time: 11:28:21 AM
    User: CONQUEST\sliley
    Computer: VPCXPMSO07
    Description:
    Product: Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 -- Configuration completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 7b 39 31 31 32 30 30 30 {9112000
    0008: 30 2d 30 30 32 45 2d 30 0-002E-0
    0010: 30 30 30 2d 30 30 30 30 000-0000
    0018: 2d 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 -0000000
    0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7d FF1CE}

The next down is a warning.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: WinMgmt
    Event ID: 63
    Time: 11:28:11 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    A provider, OffProv12, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS12, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

And the next down is also a warning

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: WinMgmt
    Event ID: 63
    Time: 11:28:11 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    A provider, OffProv12, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS12, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

This doesn't quite match up with your expectations but it's what I've got.

Rename the MS Office & Word Setup files - for me they were located in Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office/Setup. I renamed the two exe files in there - Acme & AcmeWord to Acmex & AcmeWordx. Word started up right away without going through Configuring Microsoft Home & Student 2007....

for Ms Word 2007 to stop displaying the setup configuration each time you open the programme simply do the following steps:
    step 1: go to run
    step2:type "regedit"
    step3:this will take you to registry editor here go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    then to Software then to Microsoft then to Office then to 12.0 (if word 2003 go to 11.0) then Word then Options
    step4: then right click options and then make "new" DWORD value
    step5: name it as NoReReg
    step6: double click on this and set the value to 1 from 0

Every time Vista Installer popuped for “Windows configures Microsoft Office professional 2007”
    I installed office 2007 on Vista and it works well for several month. Yesterday I installed Visio 2003 from Visual Studio 2005 Team System. Every time when I opened Visio, it popuped a dialog to configure Microsoft Office, and then a registry key access error, and then rollback the configure progress. Then I try to uninstall Visio, same registry key access error. At last I tried various ways and successfully uninstalled Visio. But when I open I open an office product (Word/Excel/PowerPoint, and etc), it gives me a message “please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office professional Plus 2007”. Then it pops a window with a status bar for “Configuration Progress”. After several minutes, the office product opened. So I uninstalled office entirely, booted, and reinstalled again and again. My account is a domain user and is belong to administrators user group on my machine. I looked this up online, tried different approaches and finally found this one:

Either way you would have to use SubInAcl. Download it from microsoft.com
    This tool allows us to edit registry entries even those which you need special rights for.
    We will make simple files, depending on the application you need to fix, with code that will fix your registry entries.
    1. Download and install SubinAcl.
    2. Locate the install folder (default is Program Files/Windows Resource Kits/Tools/)
    3. Open Notepad
    4. Add the lines you need for your applications (you can find the lines bellow)
    5. Save the file as "Officefix.cmd" in the folder where you found SubinAcl.
    6. Open the officefix.cmd

I didn’t found the lines of code that “you can find the lines bellow”. Here is the script I used and it works:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%infdefltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Simple fix. I hope you guys come back to this forum to read this post.

I had this problem where every time I started up say..Office or Powerpoint, it would start to configure Microsoft Enterprise or whatever and would take almost 5-10 minutes each time I wanted to use Office. I was almost late for school this morning. I went down to the Program Files folder and went straight to the exe. All you have to do is use the WINWORD application. I double clicked it and Word immediatly came up, no configuring. However, the same Microsoft word in my Start menu is the one that configures. That one is in some ProgramData folder.

Okay so I'm assuming you all installed the programs in the same location so use this...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

Copy and paste WINWORD, POWERPINT, or whatever you need to use, copy those "Application" files to wherever you'll find them, and start clicking those instead of however you originally launched them. Just rename WINWORD to Microsoft Word 2007 or whatever you want.

Well at least when I tried starting it from there it still tried to configure. All the shortcuts and whatever to MSOFFICE were in ProgramData.

I had a similar issue and after trying all conventional methods, ran the install program, selected custom and checked Access to install upon first use. Restarted the computer, ran Access, and after a few moments it started up, and further starts all worked quickly and properly. Go figure.

I am suffering from this problem and just can not solve it. I have Vista and Office 2007 including Project and Visio 2007, no other Office applications loaded on an almost new Dell laptop. I get the configuration dialog box every time I start an Office app, and even if the app is open I get the dialog when I click on say a Word document in Explorer, or worse still if it is an attachment in an email. This is making my PC almost unusable and I am so frustrated that Microsoft don't acknowledge this problem exists. I have tried the noregedit Dword entries with no success, and also the suggestions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911682/en-us (as far as they go as they relate to older OS and versions of Office). This is the first time in many years I have been totally stumped by a major PC problem. I have searched the Internet extensively and have not found any other suggestions, please can anyone help!

For reference I get the MSiInstaller ID 1004 and 1001 errors, and I have also found that starting the apps by clicking on c:\program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Winword.exe for example opens the app fine without the dialog box - (but the dialog box still comes up if I then try to open a Word attachment in my email).

I did try the NoReReg key for a number of the different Office apps and it hasn't made any difference for me.

I am seriously considering uninstalling Office 2007 and putting back Office 2000, nobody seems to have found a definitive solution.

Well I have an update - of sorts. I thought I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for support, but then found it cost over £100 as I have a high end version of Office. Then I managed to get a Microsoft Technical Support credit, so thought "great, I'll speak to them and get this solved once and for all".

Four weeks of calls with first line support and escalation to 2nd line support and literally days of my wasted time trying out all of their suggestions and running their troubleshooting tools and I am still no nearer a solution! We found that after a complete wipe of all office apps and a clean install that it worked fine, but as soon as I applied the service packs it broke again. They have no idea why or how to fix it. So If you have a Microsoft application running on a Microsoft Operating system on a new machine and apply a Microsoft patch and it breaks, don't expect Microsoft 2nd line support to have any clue as to how to fix it. Amazing. In any other industry they would be out of business...........

Luckily, it doesn't pop up every time we use an Office app, but only on occaisions.
    I noticed it will happen when we run an Office app after an older version of an Office app has been used.
    (I still have to use Access97 to access and make changes in our workgroup file, since this feature is dropped in v12)

I'm wondering if it is worth me trying any of these fixes, since we're only occaisionally inconvenienced.

Then I read the bizo about shortcuts, so thought to share something I just witnessed.
    I copied our database into a new user's profile, created a shortcut using the right click menu, then dragged it to his desktop.
    Then, when I went to test it, it said "not found" and windows did it's searching thing.
    In the properties of the shortcut, I chose "find target", and it found it - without me having to browse to it.
    Next time I tried it, it worked to find the database file, but popped up the configuration screen (and ground away for the obligatory five minutes or so).

See Starting Office application delayed every time by Windows configuration

I too am having this problem and have only partially solved it after hours of work and many failed attempts. Before the problem I had Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installed with Office 2007 Pro+ SP2. I wanted to use Visio and I had a copy of Visio 2003. The Visio 2003 installation hung and ever since then I have had the configuration screen pop up problem.

I can't uninstall Office 2007 as it says the installation is corrupted, even immediately after a successful re-install. I created shortcuts to winword and excel by dragging them to my desktop from my Program Files (x86)/Office12 directory. If I click on the short cuts the programs launch immediately. If I click on an existing word or excel document or use the Start - All Programs -Office method of launching I still get the configuration pop up. It seems like most of the proposed solutions don't work. I also attempted the total removal of Microsoft Office by hacking the registry as suggested by Microsoft, that didn't work. I bought PC Tools Registry Mechanic but it didn't help this problem either.

I got a legal copy of Visio 2007 from work. It completes installation but when I go to run it I get "Preparing to Install" Pop-up that eventually terminates with "Error 25004.Config.Xml not specified; A valid config.xml file must be authored when deploying'(null)'."

Any suggestions from anyone?

I found a simple answer here without needing to download extra software for editing.

"The fix to the problem is very simple as it turns out - simply run the following commands (by pressing the Windows Key+R or typing it into the Start/Run command box. Use the line with Office\11.0 if you have Office 2003 installed and Office\12.0 if you have Office 2007 installed. You can use both if you have both installed :

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

That is it. Office 2007 might want to have one more spin round the block with it's configuration dialog box, but that should be it."

When I enter this

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

in the run dialog I get the error message Windows cannot find "reg" Any ideas?

It would be better if you make changes through registry files. That is going to offer you more support in fixing the configuration on load error. Many time running a repair setup of Office fixes the issue. I had seen this problem arises mostly in limited account.