Thread: Can I file my own Income Tax Return without taking help for CA

Can I file my own Income Tax Return without taking help for CA

Can I file my own IT return without going to a CA. I have around 4 people in my family among which two are salaried and other two have their own business. I got a TDS certificate at the end of year. We were having a CA in our area who use to file our return. But he hiked the prices due to which I am not really happy to approach him. We have a limited source of income and our tax payment is really low. While the CA charge a good amount. I just want to know that can I file my own return. I had seen Income Tax Dept. has gone digital. They have a online submission feature. How to use that.

Re: Can I file my own Income Tax Return without taking help for CA

You can do that. You do not really need a CA. All you need is to understand properly on terms and requirement of e-Filing. Go on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. There is a help section at the corner top left. Click on that. You can get the complete process.

The process of filing a income tax return for individual is quiet easy. But you will need a bit guidance for that. I had seen in Income Tax Dept at Bandra, at the time of filing returns, special arrangements are made for those who wants to file their return on their own. They will fill up the form and you just have to attach your TDS certificate or Balance sheet with it and done. The new form is more bigger and ask for more details. So if you have to time you can just sit back and understand each and every term in that. It is not at all tricky. Along with this the online website gives you a complete detail in understanding the process of filing returns. CA's can help you when you are running a business. When you are having a good amount of investment and there is no one to write your books. But as you said you have a small family and the tax payment is also low, then you can try to go with your own self. You can directly approach the IT dept to verify your form. It is necessary that you provide all valid information. Try not to over show your profits. That is not going to help. The process is getting really simpler but people are not aware about the same. You can pay your tax online, generate a challan and do a lot more stuff.

It is correct. Things are more simpler here. My brother does everything at our home. We are HUF. There are round 6 people and my brother manages everything. At start it is time consuming to understand the process.

Everything is offered on the IT website. The forms, the process, etc. The thing is that you will need to understand the way it works. Like the type of expenses, receipt, etc. You will need to figure out how to show your expenses in your P&L and Balance Sheet. You will have to show your savings properly, checkout investment and understand the tax slab. Income Tax has divided separate tax slab for separate people. So that is the reason many people do not really mess with learning all those things and approach a CA. It is very easy for them to make your return and file them instantly. But on the same hand it is also beneficial if you really learn this. We all must know how our systems works and take benefit from the new technology. That is not only time saver, but the information you will gain can guide in future also. Rightnow I also think the official website is the only thing which can guide you. Just go through all help articles and then check back.