Thread: Thinking ahead of time: Successor to Intel’s Skylake

Thinking ahead of time: Successor to Intel’s Skylake

I have been looking around and found quite a few articles about the upcoming Intel architectures and I managed to find out about the following new architectures and their corresponding shrinks
    Tick >> Haswell >> 22 NM
    Tock >> Broadwell >> 14 NM
    Tick >> Skylake >> 14 NM
    These are the only architectures that I was able to find. I am really in to the technical things especially with intel and amazed with their competence in keeping up with moore’s law. Does anyone know of the successor to Skylake?

Re: Thinking ahead of time: Successor to Intel’s Skylake

I think its skymont, but I am not sure as I just googled and got this result. They have followed on the Tick-Tock cadence up until now. Let’s see if they can continue with the routine and for how long. I think with the introduction of tri-gate transistors to their manufacturing methodology its going to be okay as long as they can maintain the cost of manufacturing it. As far as I know Intel is the first company to implement this tri-gate transistor technique. Right?

It is in fact Skymont which is a die shrink (10 nm) of the same architecture as Skylake. However I was unable to find any further information than this on the later architectures. Nice and interesting thread though. I’ll bookmark it for later viewing in case someone with information posts here. Good thread.

A minor correction needs to be done in the original post as the architecture mentioned in the middle is ‘Rockwell’ not ‘Broadwell’. And yes Intel is the first to implement Tri-gate transistor technology and also this technology has helped Intel achieve a lot of goals like reducing the amount of leakage current per transistor and in particular , Stacking which has helped them reduce the die size. Sure the technology is expensive to manufacture but the important thing to remember is that its progress and progress in precious.