Thread: All about home power saver

All about home power saver

today I purchased New Power savers for my home. They are saying that we would be able to save 20 -40% consumption monthly. Will you tell me how it does work? Can you give me the brief idea about cost-benefit analysis? Let me know if you are having anything about the same. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: All about home power saver

As far as I know power savers are capacitors fitted into parallel hence it should offset the power factor. Normally electricity has been consumed in watts= volts x amps x pwr.fac.
    Because of higher load condition power company's equipment are having pwr. Fac. Of more than one. It simply increase the consumption made by the users and decreases the load made by company's equipment. Normally company provides high tension lines of 11 KV for the transmission of currents ovr long distance of the time. It get reduces at 11000 volts ‘for transmission at the local sub-stations. It simply step downs the decrease the voltage and increases current available. However current x voltage value wont change it would remain constant. 11000 volts distributed to local transformers and it is stepped down to 220 volts so that it can be consumed for domestic usage.

In case the power factor is kept to one then power company instruments wont work efficiently. It would work best when all the converted power used for factor higher than that of one.

By using capacitor you will be able to reduce the factor to the less than value of one hence there would be decrement in the power consumption. Capacitors might be leaky as time gets passes. So there will be increase in the power consumption by simply leaking of current across the poles. That is the only reason why above mentioned devices are not so popular.

I have not seen anything like Power factor always more than one ever. As far as I know power savers has been certified by BEL and there are no capacitors has been used. I think power savers are working by simply readjusting the thermostat cycles.