Thread: Best Unbranded Computer for my Purpose?

Best Unbranded Computer for my Purpose?

Hi. I posted here because the other topic categories didn't seem quite right.

I have a computer that I use for home and small business. It is a Dell and I've loved it but it is time to move on as the processor is outdated and I can not move beyond windows 2000.

I do not want Vista. I would like XP because it will work with all my current software and I'm thinking most of my software will not work with Windows 7.

Not too many branded computers are even selling computers with XP anymore and if they do - the price is high. The other thing I do not like about branded is all the software they pile on that I do not want - and then paying extra for what I do want.

So, I'm thinking an unbranded computer may work out better for me - and then I can pick the software I want to have on it. But, I do not know where to start.

Can anyone recommend a high quality computer with a great processor that will run xp but be able to update to Windows 7? I need it to be fast as I use lots of big software like photoshop, dreamweaver, excel, word, etc.

Oh, I'm looking for a desktop as opposed to a laptop - need that big screen for the type of work I do.

Appreciate your input! yvonne
    Last edited by ydono; 14-08-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Re: Best Unbranded Computer for my Purpose?

Do you have a MicroCenter anywhere near you? Their computer brand name is PowerSpec, and they offer machines with XP because a significant number of people don't want Vista.

Just so you know, MicroCenter online is NOT as good a deal as actually going to a MicroCenter store. You want to get their newsletters because they have weekly sales that can knock your socks off. They are also great for gaming.

If you have a fully functional XP installation disk, you can solve the problem in another way. You can obtain a machine with a cheap version of Vista, and then wipe it and install XP instead.

Just make sure that you can get drivers for all of your hardware before you do it! That's unlikely to be a problem because XP is a "driver friendly" operating system, and it's highly unlikely that you'd have any hardware that would be incompatible with XP. They MIGHT need a different driver version with XP, though, so make sure you check ahead of time and get the appropriate downloads.

I'll have to check to see if I have a MicroCenter here.

When you say that I should make sure there are drivers that work with XP, do you mean hardware that I currently have like the printer or do you mean hardware that comes with the new computer with vista, such as internal hardware (which I'm not even sure what it would be) and whatever keyboard and mouse come with it?

thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by ydono View Post
    I'll have to check to see if I have a MicroCenter here.

When you say that I should make sure there are drivers that work with XP, do you mean hardware that I currently have like the printer or do you mean hardware that comes with the new computer with vista, such as internal hardware (which I'm not even sure what it would be) and whatever keyboard and mouse come with it?
    Yes, I mean the new computer. Obviously, if you purchase a new computer with Vista, all the hardware devices therein will have drivers compatible with Vista.

Most of the drivers for the newer hardware work for both Vista and XP, but there is no guarantee, so check and make sure. For example, if you have a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card, you would want to go to the NVIDIA website and download the XP drivers for that device and save them on a CD. You would do that for your audio, ethernet, etc.

So, after you wipe Vista and install XP on the new computer, you will have all the drivers you need for the hardware devices resident in your new computer.

If you feel uneasy about it, you could always download software like Driver Detective, pay the thirty-something dollar full usage fee, and let it examine your hardware and download the appropriate drivers for you.

Good luck with this!